Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Forum User

engine back in - now the fun starts.... (help please!)

Put the engine back into 0425 yesterday.... installation went well but have two major issues currently that I need help/advice on...

1) Engine started OK, but was idling very high (over 2,000rpm) and when the throttle was pressed it stalled.... what could this be? I'm going to re-strip down the air filter / throttle body area to see... could it be an issue with the throttle potentiometer as I've put a new throttle body and inlet manifold on? If so, how do you adjust it or does anyone have any suggestions as to what this could be?

2) Gear arm adjustment - tried and tried yesterday to get the gear arm adjustment correct but couldn't do it - are there any techniques anyone can suggest for getting this right?

Thanks in anticipation guys!

Sounds like TPS problem. Judging by your description it might be turned too much anticlockwise. Try turning it a bit clockwise. For a proper adjustment you need williams tech manual and a multimeter.

i would not adjust anything if the car was running fine before it was taken out, i would say the problem is else where, as for the gear linkage i just marked it with paint before i took the engine out so i could have a reference mark you just need to make small adjustment to the left or right, it helps if you have the front of the car on axle stands to see if you can get all the gears by wheel rotation. i had a problem getting reverse, got there in the end like i say its TINY adjustments..

Hahahaha usual shit!

Sounds like an air leak to me. Try fiddling with the pipe from the ISCV when engine running and anything else going into the inlet manifold. All the nuts are on to secure the manifold the head yea?

Gear adjustment...yea...its a bitch. Helps if tehre are two of you. Get the car in the air, mark clevis bar (the one with the grooves on) and the clamp part it fits into. Get in the car, put in reverse, 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc find which gears you cant get and work from there.

If you cant get fifth for example I believe you need to twist the clevis bar like 0.5mm a time anti clockwise (I seem to remember) to fine tune it. TINY increments at a time, its super sensitive. Each time you adjust, get back in car and try it. You may overdo it then find you cannot get 1st or reverse...so marking the bar with your starting point becomes a good point of reference.

Shouldn't have even messed with the linkage, if you remove it from the gearbox under the rubber boot no set-up is required.

Mat.

Forum User
    thanks for your help guys... stripped down air filter and throttle body and re-tried... car now won't start at all... starter motor turns over and fuel pump primes but nothing after that.... currently going through process of elimination.. cleaning plugs, checking leads, fuses etc. but concerned that it was running last night but not now....

Mat - unfortunately we forgot to remove the gear linkage when removing the engine, hence it got damaged and needed re-connecting....

this may sound silly but have you enough petrol? or clamped off the fuel lines under the car??

Check ECU connectors and check board. May be blown.

fuel lines on the right way ?

Are you getting a spark ?

Quote Originally Posted by talkingfish

Mat - unfortunately we forgot to remove the gear linkage when removing the engine, hence it got damaged and needed re-connecting....
    Might be better off buying another one that hasn't been messed with.

Mat.