Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Forum User

Nick Reads old Turbo Valver :) £2,500

I Bought this car with the intentions of doing it up as a bit of a project. I have got it to the stage I want and now its time for someone to enjoy my hard work. The car is ready to drive away as it has a fresh 12 month MOT and 6 months Tax.

Milage is almost 69,000

The car is a 1993 ‘L’ Reg Renault Clio 16v which has been resprayed in Subaru Sonic Blue. It’s had a full BB Performance Tuning high boost turbo upgrade using a T28/T3 Hybrid turbo with fully forged internals; the boost pressure is both charge-cooled and intercooled. I have BB Performance receipts for this conversion totalling over £6,000. It is certainly no bodge job as the conversion was completed over 7 years ago and nothing has gone wrong with it yet!! It is a very reliable engine, it never overheats or anything due to the low temp thermostat.

The car pulls very well, handles very well and sounds awesome on full boost the exhaust pops and bangs on overrun, and it stops as well as it goes due to the 4 pots - it’s a lot of fun to drive! No unusual noises or nasty knocks it is mechanically sound. I reckon it could quite easily handle more boost with a 3 bar map sensor, some bigger injectors and a fresh map. But this engine has been built to last and it certainly shows.

I have done some research on the car as it is fairly famous in the Williams and 16v Clio circles as apparently it was the first Mk1 16v Clio turbo conversion completed in the UK and was also the fastest Clio (1/4 mile) in the UK at one point.

Car has done a 13.3 @ 107 ¼ mile with the previous owner.
    I have a printout from a rolling road @ 220bhp / 195lb/ft.

I have receipts for this car an inch thick totalling over £25,000.

The car needed a service (oil/ oil filter change and brand new plugs) which its had less than 50 miles ago.

Ill start with the good points:

ENGINE
    1.8 16v F7P engine
    - Block overbored slightly too almost 1800
    BB Performance Tuning High Boost Turbo conversion: (the bits I know it has are)
    - Steel Rods
    - Forged Low Compression Turbo pistons (7.5:1)
    - T28/T3 Hybrid Garrett blower (Boosting @ 15psi)
    - Cast manifold
    - Custom steel downpipe
    Fully modified Hill Power head
    Chrome Charge Cooler (which runs off its own independent electric water pump)
    PACE alloy intercooler
    Carbon fibre turbo heat shield
    Low temp thermostat
    Combination of Hill Power/ Samco fluorescent yellow silicone hoses
    Red Magnecor KV85 silicone plug leads
    Chrome Forge dump valve
    Power Boost Valve
    Custom 3” bore side exit Powerflow exhaust
    Green cotton oil breather in custom chrome catch tank
    Chrome Header tank
    Chrome charge cooler header tank
    Setrab 13 row oil cooler (unfitted)
    Braided oil cooler lines from sandwich plate
    Braided turbo oil feed
    Copper radiator
    Low temp fan switch
    High output starter motor
    400bhp fuel pump
    Standard ECU flash mapped by Fastchips

TRANSMISSION
    Brand new Helix 4 Paddle cerametallic Clutch
    JC5 Williams Gearbox (just had brand new oil).

EXTERIOR
    17” OZ Chrono EVO 5 spoke alloys in deep anthracite grey
    Windows tinted black
    Custom front bumper / skirts
    Laguna splitter
    Rear bumper has bump strips smoothed
    Tailgate smoothed
    Rear ‘afterburner’ lights colour coded
    Front ‘angel eye’ headlights
    Rounded ‘DTM style’ wing mirrors

BRAKES
    4 Pot Hi-Spec front callipers
    325mm two piece Hi-Spec discs with alloy bells
    Brand new DS2500 Ferodo front pads
    Braided front brake lines
    Brand new master cylinder (just fitted)
    Dot 5:1 Racing brake fluid

INTERIOR
    Sparco steering wheel
    Safety Devices 4 point rear roll cage in black
    Blue Cobra bucket seats on custom Cobra mounts to the original Clio rails (Seats were FIA Approved – now ran out)
    6 point Sparco harnesses
    Sparco pedals
    Standard Oil pressure/Temp and level gauges (all working)
    Carbon boost gauge
    Carbon air/fuel gauge
    Rear is stripped out
    Battery relocated into the boot
    Williams (blue) carpet
    Momo gearknob

SUSPENSION
    Fully adjustable Gaz coilovers all round
    Chrome front strut brace
    Some Powerflex polybushes fitted (ARB’s and a few other places)

SECURITY
    Scorpion thatchcam cat 1 alarm/immobiliser.

Have a search on here and (dare I say it) cliosport.net for bits of history on the car.

The shell is in good condition with no rust.

Bad Points
    The car was crashed by the previous owner, the damage was minimal however it needed a new bonnett, grille, headlights and front panel.
    A new Genuine Renault front panel was been fitted by the guy who had it (obviously not much experience with a welder) in a manner that can only be described as shocking! Hence the headlight position. The car has passed an MOT after some adjustment of the headlights but it has basically been welded on in the wrong place(!) and could certainly do with unpicking and welding back on properly.The pictures show this, it has basically been welded on about an inch too far over to the passenger side.

All I wanted to do was fix the car up to a mechanically sound point, get it taxed and tested, have some fun and sell it on, aesthetics were not on my list.

The car has some scratches on it, one I shamefully have to own up to one myself as my girlfriend guided me out of our (very narrow – in my defence) driveway and scraped the rear quarter panel – Never trust women. Ever. Before my ownership it also had a couple of scratches on the boot where it seems someone has keyed it. And a small patch of filler on the sill? Unexplainable as the sills have no filler in them! And a couple of chips on the A post.

If you were using this as a track car these wouldn’t make any difference. If you wanted the paintwork tidying up before you bought it I would get it ding/scratch free for an additional £250. This by any standards – is extremely cheap.

Boot solenoid is broken – boot doesn’t open because of this (It can be opened but two bolts have to be removed to do this).

Needs a grille and the plastic strips from under the headlights.

Oil cooler isn’t fitted, however I do have it. (The braided oil cooler lines are temporarily capped off instead).

Rear bumper bump strips have been smoothed and have now cracked - this is nothing but the age of the car showing.

The chrome coating on the rocker cover has flaked off.

£3200

Good luck with the sale. I live in Preston. Suprisingly never ever seen this knocking round.

Must say, I remember this being on ebay about 7 years ago and went for about 8k. I saved pictures of it on an old HD thinking man I want it, want one when im older.

Amazing how modified cars date so much over standard viewing this today.

i still want it.....but that front end is shocking!

id change the front and rear lights.....thats it.... maybe interior seats

thats more than adi paid for it in mint condition...fuk me....amazing to see how badly its been treated for a car that had so much time/effort put into it by previous owners.

Forum User
    Yes unfortunately the owner before me didnt really give a sh!t about the car he knew nothing. If it wasnt for me I dont think this car would still be around.

The front end actually looks a lot worse in the pix than it really is. all it needs is a new front panel/ grill and its fixed. I wish it had just been supplied to me with the parts to fix it instead of the bodge job that he did. :(

Engine is still doing the job though. Its absolutely rapid.

Probably better re-shelling it that front end is a mess. Still could be a good project for someone...

Would be perfect as a sprint car, or a dedicated track car. I wouldn't care about the looks tbh as it goes like stink! lol! It's just not going to win any concours awards... :o

Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by ollie16v
    Probably better re-shelling it that front end is a mess. Still could be a good project for someone...
    its isnt bent, i think re shelling it for the sake of a front panel is sligfhtly extreme. Its the pictures that make it look worse than it is, you can see that the headlights are tight up on the right hand side as you look at the pic. the front panel only needs cutting off at both ends and re-welding back on an inch to the left.

The other spaces will be filled up with a grill and the plastic strips that go underneath the headlights.

It really isnt that bad. It isnt bent or anything the damage didnt reach the inner or even outer wings.

fix it then?

Forum User
    Would there be any more interest in it if i did fix it??