Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    But will they recognise his insurance?

Mat.

Yes, as Matt says I think this is going to prove difficult. To tax the car you need to show that you own it (tax renewal reminder or V5 in your name are ok, maybe the 'new keeper' slip at the bottom of the V5 would work too, but I'm not sure?) and insured. It's going to be tricky to get them to accept the insurance if it is issued by anyone other than a UK insurer. Could the seller perhaps not tax it for you as part of the sale? I know it will take some trust but he could perhaps return the money to you once you send the tax disc off for a refund (payable to him) when you get back to Malta? Failing that you could always trailer it to the port?

Someone in the motor trade are aloud under their own insurance to drive any car even without tax i believe? I could be wrong, maybe u could get (or buy) someones help??

Quote Originally Posted by stevie_b
    Yes, as Matt says I think this is going to prove difficult. To tax the car you need to show that you own it (tax renewal reminder or V5 in your name are ok, maybe the 'new keeper' slip at the bottom of the V5 would work too, but I'm not sure?) and insured. It's going to be tricky to get them to accept the insurance if it is issued by anyone other than a UK insurer. Could the seller perhaps not tax it for you as part of the sale? I know it will take some trust but he could perhaps return the money to you once you send the tax disc off for a refund (payable to him) when you get back to Malta? Failing that you could always trailer it to the port?
    The car isn't in the sellers name either. lol.

Mat.

I've taxed a car that was in someone elses name but insured temporarily in my name before so not impossible, will probably have to take the documents to the post office before they're filled out

Since I haven't seen pics of you running naked down the street to prove your excitement at owning the williams, can I see a pic of you with your uzi?

Could he do that DayInsure thing if he had a UK address to use?

Forum User
    The insurance is Maltese but in fact is part of general accident UK and i will also have a green car euro cover so they have to accept it. i'm gonna try and call the DVLA and ask there opinion maybe i might find someone helpful. Other wise if all fails ill have to get trailered to Dover which sucks, but might cost the same as the tax anyhow.

I have got caught without tax driving a car I just bought home, just got a £56 fine luckily. Insurance was fine.

I think the fine would depend on the length of time the car has been untaxed.

Mat.

Forum User
    When do you intend collecting the willy? where are you going from Dover? Just been checking V5 registration doc and there is a different process for the seller and buyer to follow when exporting. Whereas the seller normally retains the majority of the doc, and the buyer retains section 10, the seller noe retains only section 11 and the buyer keeps the rest for export purposes. If you havn't already left, and you pm me your address I will mail you a copy of the relevant points, or pm me your email address and I will scan and send them.