Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by white16valver
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunner
    Quote Originally Posted by vkosho
    why do people put 1.2 racks on willys then. surely that would make it piss poor?
    Because manual steering takes away approx 5 bhp from the engine power, and a manual rack set up is lighter, plus you can 'feel' the road through the steering a lot more
    BUT...

I want to go 'turn' then turn in, not 'turn, turn, TURN!!!' ;) LoL
    Hehe, Thats what im saying. The turn in is so key to the williams zen.

wouldnt want to turn it into a stagecoach.

Forum User
    I'm afraid I'm a very long way from fitting it as the car is still in a million peices at the mo. I'm hoping that when i do get it fitted the light weight of the car will make the steering a little lighter otherwise i'm screwed as i'm only small lol

My Williams definitely has different (quicker) rack then any of my friends valvers. It's clearly visable when trying to park the car or negotiating really tight turns. Mine is very much like clio V6 - three point turns everywhere...

When I put mine on full lock the wheels scrape the arches, so I try and avoid it...

Beaniemoo, you'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaniemoo
    It's a manaul rack thats been converted to a quick rack by a now defunct engineering company a long time ago. It's the only one i know of so i'm pretty pleased to have it.
    Would they be TAS? There kits with 2.5turns lock to lock.

Winston has one of their old quick racks for sale when he broke the 5 he was builiding.

I also have one, i've rebuilt mine 3 or 4 times this year in an attempt to removed the play in it, its helped a bit but the quality of the TAS kits was never great to begin with.

A few other 5 owners I know have also stripped and rebuilt the TAS quick raks for the same reason, with near enough the same results..

Ive checked my rack today and its deffinatly 2.8-2.9 almost to upside down both ways.

Are other peoples different?? This is very strange if thats the case.

Had a look at a couple of racks today.
    All measured on the rack it self.

Std. Williams PAS rack: 2,75 turns lock-lock
    Std. Valver PAS rack: 2,75 turns lock-lock
    A random Clio non PAS rack: 3,75 turns lock-lock

Michael

Forum User
    Just a thought would the r5 rack fit the Williams?

Yes Renault 5 rack fits the Williams and vice versa. The gt turbo manual rack is 3.25 turns lock to lock, the TAS 2.5 turn lock to lock kits for the 5 are the only other option I can see.

I haven't driven a valver with a manual rack yet. However, when i had my old 1.4, i distinctly remember that the turning circle was much better than the valver when i got that.

Obviously this makes the lock to lock more turns, but wouldn't the ratio be very similar? As the manual rack just turns the wheels further on a full lock, hence the scrubbing on the inside. Hence the valver/willy rack takes more to do 3 point turns as said above.

Or am i completely wrong and there is a big diffence in how much the wheels turn for the same movement in steering wheel? I wouldn't have thought it would've been noticeable really - especially if the cups ran the same rack. Just buy a slightly smaller steering wheel too!