Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Really stiff box on gear select

Ok i have another big question, i have just got my Clio up and running after buying it and it wont select 3rd, 4th or 5th with the engine on or off.
    Ive been searching previous posts and none are like this. Basically it will select 1st, 2nd & reverse but not the rest unless you really slam it across at force.
    Ive had a look underneath and its not pulling the gear selector down out of box properly. We have checked the linkage and its lined up correctly. Would a worn linkage not bring this selector out of the box correctly or is it the box?
    Ive tried moving it by hand underneath and its stiff to pull down by hand, should it be? Ive got a spare box for it but don't want to spend an entire day changing it only to find its not the issue.

Just to say to when you get the gears they are all in the correct place i.e 1st on far left etc. It seems like the selector on the bottom of the box wont come down like i said but is this because of linkage.

Sorry to sound dumb its really stressing me out. Even though the gears are in the right place just stiff could it still be linkage.

Thank you all for your help and advise.

check the gearbox mount.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple
    check the gearbox mount.
    sorry to sound stupid but how does that affect it.lol

Please ignore my above question.lol just went and had a look tho and she seems spot on, looks very new actually :D

not sure myself but try elimating parts - disconnect the linkage from gear lever and check the lever moves ok.

Quote Originally Posted by northy
    not sure myself but try elimating parts - disconnect the linkage from gear lever and check the lever moves ok.
    Cheers for that dude, am I right in saying these linkages have two connectors almost, as in 1st, 2nd on the small and 3rd, 4th, and 5th on another, so potentially even if the first three gears are in the right place the others could still be out due to this. Please correct me if im wrong? I ask as I personally did not check the linkage it was done by a friend. If this is right what part do I need to adjust on the linkage?

the linkage is held to the gear lever with 1 x 13mm nut, take this off and check the lever moves ok - if it does then the problem is at the gearbox side.

Just checked that now, its gearbox side! It does go into 5th and 4th occassionally if you try about 12 times with alot of force. Can i adjust linkage then to fix this without moving the first few gears.

im not sure as ive never done it. But i know when people have fitted the short shifters they have adjusted the linkage.

Just done a quick search for u

Fix 1
    disconnect the gear linkage bar from the g/b end
    and do a few gear changes by hand while chucking some grease on there.
    Fix 2
    1. Clearly marking the adjustable bar and gear link rod in relation to each other makes life a lot easier and you'll be able to work out which way to adjust a lot quicker (my first mistake!)

2. Before you do anything test 5th gear is accessible and reverse. It may be that you can only get 1st and 2nd through lifting the reverse gear sleeve on the lever.

3. Bear in my that even a 1mm change in either direction on the adjustable rod makes a noticeable difference to the overrall gear selection, as such, only make small increments in each direction, testing the gears as you do each change.

4. If you choose to change the smaller link bar, be very careful with the plastic balljoint holder and the small circlip. They are fragile!

5. Make sure you have plenty of latex gloves...got through about 30 pairs doing this.