Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Gearstick markings lifespan

The gearknob on the Williams I bought is a nice clean example, but all the white markings have completely wiped off. My rather unusual question is how long does it take for the markings to wipe off with normal driving?

I'm asking because I've just bought a new one but I cost nearly £50 so I want to know whether to permanently swap it for normal use or swap it over when showing / selling the car.

Also, how easy is it to swap over?

I think gear knob is glued, so I'm not sure if you could swap between them on daily basis. Don't know about markings, because I've never seen a clio with them other then on a photo. To be honest, I didn't even know there were supposed to be numbers on the knob for about half a year after I bought my Willy. So probably they don't last very long in showroom condition.

I see. I guess a plain blue topped gearknob is common then? If the markings only last a year I won't bother swaping (no point paying £50 a year for what I already know).

I hoped that people had an experience where their marking faded slowly after a decade or only after using some chemical cleaners / degreasers etc.

change gear without using the knob - will last for ages then

I think my old 3 had a new one when I got it, or a newish one as the markings were still very clear. When sold, 3.5 years later they were slightly faded but more than acceptable after 20k.

Fearing the QI anticipated answer siren:

How?

Also, you can, if I recall correctly, swap the blue top bit without having to hack the old gearknob off.

It is glued on, usually very firmly! Can make quite a mess before you have the old one off, use caution when cutting!

Forum User
    maybe pop the blue cap out and get it laquered at a bodyshop so it will never rub off

Trying to take the knob off my mk1 was a farce. It took so long to cut down to the stick I was about ready to trash the car <jk> but the cambelt beat me to it.

I'd love to know if there's a way to just swap the blue top over. It would potentially save hours.

slide a screw driver down the side and prise of the plastic cap.

As im sure your aware - the older GENUINE knobs last alot longer than new ones from renault.