Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Lenghtened gear lever with quickshift

Hi folks,
    I have made 4 lenghtened gear levers (called as Fast Road Shifter) for Clio Mk 1, one of them is for sale now. (2 were installed into my Willy and 1.2, 1 was installed into my friend's Clio 2.0T).

This kit consists of:
    - an adjustable ball joint housing
    - a lenghtened reverse-lock sleeve
    - quickshift with metal bush and bolt
    - new gear stick with ball joint
    - 2 pins
    - o-ring
    - spring

The extended gearstick is lenghtened by 35 mm compared to the genuine gear lever but the shift throw equals with the genuine one’s due to the quickshift.

The right sleeve is the lenghtened, the middle one is the OEM (and the left one is a shortened for my short shifter kit):

All other parts (not included in this kit) of the gear lever come from the genuine gear lever: gear knob (you can use your Renault gear knob), lower slider, cable, bushes at the bottom of the gear lever.

This kit is designed by me, it's a decent job: all parts are CAD designed, the stress distribution is analised and optimised. For example the reverse-lock sleeve:

The gear stick with the ball is zink plated, the barrel at the bottom is made of stainless steel and the welding is coated with zink spray. The ball joint housing is adjustable this means that you can set the shift force (the force to select gears) to your demand easily from the driverseat.

I have been using mines in my cars since July without any problems, I really very like it. A friend of mine has been using this kit in his Clio 2.0T (weekend/track day car) since September, he also loves it.

In my Williams, (it was important me for not changing the interior - except the longer gear stick of course):

The adjustable ball joint:

Fits all Clio Mk1 models and I quess it's also good in Clio MK2 with rod shift (Clio 172). I made a deteailed (step-by-step) assembly guide towards the easy installation.

New, fitted only once into my Williams for checking - works perfectly.

I'm looking for £148 (plus postage).

I'm interested in this, is there any chance you could get a video up showing the throw for each gear?

Quote Originally Posted by sk84life
    I'm interested in this, is there any chance you could get a video up showing the throw for each gear?
    Unfortunately I haven't got any video momently but will do some tomorrow in my runabout Clio 1.2. The same kit is installed into that car as in my Williams only the colour of the anodised ball joint housing differs (red) and naturally the gear knob is not Williams style (conventional black Clio gear knob). My Williams is in my grandfather's garage and I will be able to visit him next weekend earliest.

Sounds good to me - vid of it on the 1.2 will do the job

what is the advantage for a higher gear lever yanoo ?

Quote Originally Posted by northy
    what is the advantage for a higher gear lever yanoo ?
    More comfortable and less 'handwork'.

Though the shift does not become quicker because the length of the shift throw equals with the original, but the time-distance necessity of putting your hand from steering wheel to the gear knob is decreased, this effects a quicker shift after all and more comfortable usage in the daily run (or track day / rallye).

(and it's easier to reach the heater controls if your hand is on the gear knob :D )

Forum User
    next in line please after sk84life.

Thanks,
    Simon

Quote Originally Posted by manxseven
    next in line please after sk84life.

Thanks,
    Simon
    Ok!

I forgot to mention: I wanted to show that the gear knob does not move/shake on idle or revving and the gear changing has a 'sporty' sound (due to the ball joint housing is made of alloy and it hasn't got a sound damping effect).