Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

any electricians / builders? advice on garage refurb please

I've recently moved and have some plans to improve the old barn I have into a nice workshop and garaging area. Currently it is all just blockwork, so nice and solid, but a bit dusty so I'm going to start by painting all the walls white to brighten the place up and laying some flooring to stop the concrete floor breaking up with use. There is a mezzanine floor for storage over about half of the workshop area and I was planning on fitting some downlights to the bottom of this to create a low ceiling that I could park a car under to get some good light on it for working on the car or polishing it, etc. I'm after some advice as to whether I can fit mains voltage downlighters or whether I need to go for those low voltage ones? I'm going for the tilting ones so I can vary where the light actually shines. The pics on the DIY sites look pretty similar so what are the pros and cons of each? Low voltage ones seem lower wattage in general so I presume use less power but won't be as bright? Do the bulbs blow more frequently in one type versus the other or anything? The barn has a good roof so it won't get wet inside, but it isn't heated so probably gets a bit damp in the winter so are low voltage lights a safer bet? Are there any 'rules of thumb' as to how many downlights I should fit per square foot of ceiling to get a good light coverage?

Re: any electricians / builders? advice on garage refurb ple

Quote Originally Posted by stevie_b
    Are there any 'rules of thumb' as to how many downlights I should fit per square foot of ceiling to get a good light coverage?
    yes, if you can see your thumb its bright enough :D

Forum User
    sack the down lights off mate, they look nice and pretty but I personally would fit (depending on space) a few 5ft or 6ft strip lights, they look shit but give off the best light, make sure you get a nice WHITE COLOUR lamp/bulb though - think its an 840

Forum User
    hi mate

can fit either just there are expensive ti run the mains ones as there usually 50w each...X however many

long tubes are cheaper and a better light...

damps fine running water not so...

plus if its single skin block you could line the inside with a timber and insulation frame if you want it warm in winter..that how i did mine...

Thanks for the advice. I did consider lining the inside and insulating it but I am probably never going to heat it in there so there is no warmth to save. I've got a few strip lights in there already but just fancied trying something a bit different. I've bought 15 20w low voltage downlights and will see how they look. Here is the starting point - will post pics again when its finished:

Forum User
    your gunna get sick to death of changing those lamps dude! least tubes last ages!!!! :D

Im not sure wot 'lamps' your all talking about but please DONT go for the halogen bulbs! They are expensive and blow all the freken time a right pain!

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.js...isSearch=false

I would go for strip lights.

Forum User
    looking at that pic mate, I'd mount a few strip lights on the side walls as well to realy brighten the place up

Forum User
    and paint it white too...except the floor paint that grey

Forum User
    I put 2 500w halogen lights, one at each end in my garage, cheap to buy, but not to run, heat the garage too tho