Forum User

power steering to manual steering

hello im wondering if any one can help as ive noticed a few people have done away with there power steering on the valvers. and im wondering what is needed to do so. to replace the pump. as ive changed the rack and colloum. and does any one have part numbers cheers

Forum User

Re: power steering to manual steering

Quote Originally Posted by paudi294
    hello im wondering if any one can help as ive noticed a few people have done away with there power steering on the valvers. and im wondering what is needed to do so. to replace the pump. as ive changed the rack and colloum. and does any one have part numbers cheers
    im guessing you have fitted a manual rack/column then?

on the engine side theres a couple ways of doing it really, you can just remove the pas pump(which is a task on its own tbh) and use a slightly shorter belt pk6-836mm iirc you would need to elongate the hole in the black bracket at the top of the alternator in order to tension the alternator(and ditch the small 45* angle bracket behind it)

or....

remove all the pas/alt brackets and fit a smaller mounting bracket off a meg/lag volvo and adjuster bracket with a smaller belt again(mine is a pk6-800mm

this pic is keeping the std brackets but as said i elongated the top bracket hole and used a std nut/bolt to tighten it

this is how i did mine at first, but now have the smaller bracket/adjuster off a meg/lag etc but i dont have any pics of that.

Forum User
    btw the std belt tensioner isnt actually used that way^^ its just sat there as without lifting the engine enough i couldnt get the bolt out lol

Dead easy to remove the PAS pump and bracketry. Everyone makes it out to be a difficult job, it really isn't IMO, just takes about 30 mins to strip it all down.

Forum User
    cheers. guys. do you have a pic of the other set up. as i have a clio rsi engine lying about. and yes p/s al ready removed as the engines out and been rebuilt so the a bonus side

Forum User
    unfortantly i dont, im sure there is some on the site somewere just have to do a quick search,

btw i didnt mean it was hard to remove the pas pump, just a task as you need to remove several bits just to get to it with decent access

but if your engines out your laughing easy peasy lol

[imghttp://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n113/f0xy_2006/--%20The%20MK1/IMG_1632.jpg[/img]

[imghttp://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n113/f0xy_2006/--%20The%20MK1/IMG_1151.jpg[/img]

These are the bits for the non PAS setup

You can get them from 1.7 volvos, 1.7 R5's etc etc