Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: evening all....

Forum User

evening all....

Hi folks, i'm a potential newbie.......

I'm looking at a Williams 3 on Saturday & just wanted a few tips regarding what to check etc......
    I've owned a number of Renaults including 21 Turbos, a few 5's & a Clio Baccarra (rare manual version..bought in France) Anyway, i know to check the cooling system - fans etc & i have a basic mecanical knowledge. What do i need to look for...?? It's had a cambelt change recently & the owner assures me that both the engine & box are in A1 perfect order...

The car is a really clean '95 N plate with 115,000 on the clock, full service history, loads of receipts, paper work & documents etc, it's had 3 owners & from the pictures has no rust on the rear arches & the interior looks super clean..

So it looks like i'm gonna loose my current "hobby" car - an Impreza Turbo & head back down the French route....again.. :D

Look forward to some pointers before Saturday....

Thanks!!

Forum User
    don't its a williams 3 read my sale thread

http://www.williamsclio.co.uk/forum/...166&highlight=

hi m8 good luck, check body for rear arches, door bottoms, inside tailgate and sills, engines are fairly strong if well looked after so check service history and or receipts gearbox for poor selection noise etc make sure when cam belt was done as quite expensive to get done if you dont do it yourself. check alloys for condition and whether refurb needed can be expensive if needed pristine charge about £300 again can be done DIY cheaper. running gear suspension etc pretty much what you would check on any car worth checking track rods for play on the inboard joints and also steering column for worn flexible joint shows up as vagueness in steering easy fix to weld up. interior check all electrics/gauges work then a road test. sure plenty more comments to come

With it being a '3', check it's a proper williams and not a replica, should have C57M on the oval plate.

Mat.

Forum User
    He's assured me it's a genuine Williams 3, but rest assured i will be checking all things - especially the oval plate code - thanks for that one..!!

welcome

Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by busterhymes
    don't its a williams 3 read my sale thread

http://www.williamsclio.co.uk/forum/...166&highlight=

hi m8 good luck, check body for rear arches, door bottoms, inside tailgate and sills, engines are fairly strong if well looked after so check service history and or receipts gearbox for poor selection noise etc make sure when cam belt was done as quite expensive to get done if you dont do it yourself. check alloys for condition and whether refurb needed can be expensive if needed pristine charge about £300 again can be done DIY cheaper. running gear suspension etc pretty much what you would check on any car worth checking track rods for play on the inboard joints and also steering column for worn flexible joint shows up as vagueness in steering easy fix to weld up. interior check all electrics/gauges work then a road test. sure plenty more comments to come
    Cheers for your plug....really looking for the latest one possible - plus i'm planning a swap as the chap with the clio is looking for an Impreza Turbo 5 door.......which i happen to have in my garage.... :D :D

Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by MatBrown
    With it being a '3', check it's a proper williams and not a replica, should have C57M on the oval plate.

Mat.
    Why should i check it's genuine if it's a 3 & not a 2 or 1...??? was it because adding the sunroof, ABS & changing the colour shade made it easier to replicate..???

Cheers

mainly the addition of the sunroof made it easier to sling all the bits onto a valver shell and call it a williams. GUNNER's old hybrid was a valver with a complete williams 3 conversion, without looking at the oval plate you'd never of known it wasnt a gen willy 3

Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Coops
    mainly the addition of the sunroof made it easier to sling all the bits onto a valver shell and call it a williams. GUNNER's old hybrid was a valver with a complete williams 3 conversion, without looking at the oval plate you'd never of known it wasnt a gen willy 3
    Thanks Coops - that's good advise - i'll make sure i check the oval plate....

:D :D

good luck with your viewing of the car! take in all the advice given on here and you cant go wrong! also, welcome to the site fella.... :D
    CLIO WILLIAMS 0215