Clutch Pedal/Cable problem

My clutch cable decided to snap the other day, at least I thought it had after the AA man came pick me up and told me the pedal had gone as the cable was still in tact.

I've had the pedal off and the mechanism appears to be fine. I've taken the cable out and the was a plastic part near the bell housing that had snapped co I've bought and fitted a new cable.

I still cannot get into gear proper, I've tried to adjust the route of the cable several times and re-adjust the ratcet etc to no avail Also managed to round off one of the pedal supporting braket threads so down to one nut now but this does'nt seems to effect the stability of the pedal.

Could this be the pedal ratchet etc that needs re-newing? Running out of ideas now and refuse to go to a garage I've read through all of 1fast6's guide anyway and have near enough checked all the bits he has chnaged for new.

Cheers in advance.
    Matt

Forum User
    pedal mech got to be a fav m8, did u fit genuine cable as copies can be poorer quality and issues with length can be a real prob

a) For now try a 1/2" shim if you can fabricate one at the bell housing end, the last contact upto the stopper where your cable goes through that ring on the housing.

Worked for me when I couldnt get it into gear.

I was forever snapping cables that were routed right, every 3 months I went thru one. Pissed me off.

b) I took some advice of summeh, i removed that rubber gator at the end of the cable that butts up to housing and until i retired the car to the garage never snapped on me for nearly a year. If you wanna keep the rubber gator, you can just cut it with a knife iirc to get it off.

Seems like a silly thing point b, maybe it was just coincidence, but never snapped another after doing it.

Im officially the king of snapping clutch cables! Went thru about 8

Personally IMO and as remarked on a non clio forum, subaru i think it was where someone asked about clio 16v's a guy put about how theyre bastards for snapping cables, he said he's had a few 16v's and some were worse than others for snapping, and in his words, its luck of the draw as to whether you get a 16v/willy that will snap for fun or you get some that never snap.

I tend to agree with him.

:D

Quote Originally Posted by busterhymes
    pedal mech got to be a fav m8, did u fit genuine cable as copies can be poorer quality and issues with length can be a real prob
    Yep, fitted a genuine one, have learnt from that mistake in the past, always go for OE now.

I think i'll try the shim idea below for the moment, but would like to get to the bottom of the problem, must be the mech as you suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by 1995clio16v
    a) For now try a 1/2" shim if you can fabricate one at the bell housing end, the last contact upto the stopper where your cable goes through that ring on the housing.
    I'll see what U can fabricate then mate and see if that works. So essentially i'd be making hte cable shorter?

This is the first time it's snapped in the 3 years i've had the car so not really a common problem with this one, they used to snap a lot on my valver though when I had that,