Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Replacing rear quarters

When people talk about replacing a 'rear quarter' due to rusting, what do they mean?

How much do Renault charge for a rear quarter please?

renault dont sell them unfortunately

any decent bodyshop will be able to rebuild arches from scratch though

Ok, being sensible now. Have a look at this pic of the rear quarter of my car, this is what people are refering to

However, there's no need to replace the whole lot. Renault want about £350 odd + VAT for a whole rear quarter. Your car would have to be rotten all the way up to the windows to warrant needing a whole panel.

Have a look at this next pic, my arch & sill were rotten so replaced, you can see the fresh bare metal. Only a very small bit of a £20 repair panel was used to replace the rust that was cut out

So you can imagine how pissed off you'd be if you spent the best part of £400 for a big bit of metal & only used a very tiny bit of it, when a small £20 bit of metal is more than adequate

Quote Originally Posted by Coops
    renault dont sell them unfortunately

any decent bodyshop will be able to rebuild arches from scratch though
    They do, well they did when I asked last year before mine went in for it's respray. They quoted me £385 +VAT

I understand the thinking behind patching up the bits of rust for a much cheaper price, but no doubt you're probably in the business and can get jobs like this done for £20.

If I took my car down to a bodyshop, they'd take one look at my face and charge me £200-£300 to do a botch with a horrendous spray job.

My thinking behind replacing my rear quarters is that I've spent £4000 on the car already, the engine is low millage and everything else is mint. I plan on keeping the car in as mint condition as possible for a looong time and it seems to me that the rear quarters are the achilles heel that need constantly repatching.

Would it not be a long term investment to spend say £1100 on a rear half, professionally sprayed off the car while Renault are still manufacturing them, to have another 10 years (£110 a year) of trouble free from the worst part of the car?

No.

A bodyshop will just get the £20 part & chop that up accordingly. It's not patching up, they will cut away all the rot plus a bit more, then take the new bit of metal, cut it to size then weld it in.

Look at how much fresh metal is on mine & my arches were really bad. If you waste your money on the panel from renault the bodyshop will still use the same amount of metal to do the job & the leftover of the new panel will be useless & worth about 50p in scrap.

Trust me, there is no need to waste your money on new panels from renault

Just re-read your post and no again

It can't be painted off the car as it's all got to be welded onto the car before it's painted

Oh and renault will only give you a piece of bare unpainted metal

edit button would be really useful about now

Any photos of the arch painted and finished Paddy?