Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Fill your tyre with nitrogen for just £1

While getting my MOT at Kwikfit, I was surprised to find that Kwik-fit are now filling with pure nitrogen for £1 per tyre.

Seems AA like the idea.
    http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice...-nitrogen.html

Other opinions are mixed, but for £4, might as well, eh?

nope, air is 80% nitrogen anyway, makes **** all difference

Ah but the 20%.... ; )

Tbh, I'm playing devils advocate and doubt it does much, but it probably does something and certainly doesn't harm, so might as well for under a fiver for the car, even if its something to talk about down the pub.

Forum User
    to be effective they have to vac out all the air, which i dont think they do, just top up

lol, yeah good point man, never thought of that, to get it done properly they'd have to work in a nitrogen atmosphere in space suits

I asked. They said to do it at that price, it would have to be part of a full service (which I'm getting anyway).

Yes, before aligning etc, they take the whole tyre off and just use nitro instead of the O2 the common plebs use - (Devs advocate again) ; )

They say 25% less wear, 20% less between refills etc. Even this makes little sense rationally. BUT YOUR WHEELS ARE FULL OF NITROGEN, with none of that pesky O2 that none of us had problems with before, lol!

yeah its definately pub talk but hey its your cash man

its simply the difference in moisture and the inert ability of nitrogen with regards to heat. The claims of less wear etc.. come from the fact they are assuming that due to the fact nitrogen is less susceptible to expansion and contraction under heat variances that the tire will more or less always remain constant with regards to road contact, instead of fluctuating from 'allegedly low and flat contact' to 'allegedly high and convex contact'... this added to the fact they assume that nitrogen does not 'leak' out as much as O2.....

Tyre inflations gasses where one of the key performance differenciators in F1 car performance over the past couple of years. Ferrari 2 years ago had a mix that was ultra stable and made the tyres last longer and more stable through there life (albeit short) and gave a clear performance advantage.

There was a massive feature in Autosport about it and the benifits, now all teams use basically the same mix. Just like this year the double diffuser is the key performance upgrade, everyones now got one.

Even on the rallycar being able to have stable tyre pressure is a massive benifit. I have to set them to 23-24 psi cold so when they get warm they are at 28-29 optimum pressure. It the performance you loose whilst getting the tyres upto temp that this combats. Performance drops of even with being 2psi outside the 28psi window when warm, these gases take the guesswork out.

On a road tyre will have limited impact but on a competition car there are definately benifits.

As someone who is ALWAYS concerned with the flammable nature of oxygen, eliminating it from my tyres can only be a good thing. The extra peace of mind lack of combustability in my tyres will bring, will mean i can sleep for at least another 10 minutes every day.