Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rust...

Rust...

Hi guys,

Totally stripped out the interior of the car over weekend to start my project.

I seem to remember someone (COOPS i think) when he removed all his floor carpet he found rust....? Where was it? Sure it was somewhere inside on the floor pan?

There is ZERO rust on the inside of the car which im pretty pleased about so far.

PS - The previous and only owner was a smoker. Ill leave it to the imagination on how much fag ash was found behind the centre lower console and carpet when i removed it all. Ive had the 16v 5 years so its been sat there all that time! Totally minging!

Re: Rust...

Quote Originally Posted by 1995clio16v
    Hi guys,

Totally stripped out the interior of the car over weekend to start my project.

I seem to remember someone (COOPS i think) when he removed all his floor carpet he found rust....? Where was it? Sure it was somewhere inside on the floor pan?

There is ZERO rust on the inside of the car which im pretty pleased about so far.

PS - The previous and only owner was a smoker. Ill leave it to the imagination on how much fag ash was found behind the centre lower console and carpet when i removed it all. Ive had the 16v 5 years so its been sat there all that time! Totally minging!
    That rust is a common rot point on the floor pan, id say 70% are rotted there but you dont see it...

Its the middle fixture point for the under car fuel rail plastic protector. You dont see it because its hidden by the guard. And you dont see it on the inside because its under the carpet and sound deadening.

Remove the sound deadening under the drivers seat and youll probably be greated with a hole.

as above, only shows through when either the fuel line plastic guard or brake line guard (depending on side of the car) is removed from underside or you rip up the tar based sound deadening stuck to the floorpan inside. just removing the carpet and foam padding won't show it up.

i found a 1 inch hole on passenger side and the drivers was thinned out by the rust so had both patches cut out and new metal welded in.

its caused by stone chips in that area then wet leaves etc causing a water trap in the plastics guards and rotting the floorpan through.

Forum User
    If or should i say when i start this kit car project im buying a mig welder......all cars evaporate like alka seltzer tablets!

Right....so this tar based sound stuff, is this all the patches in pics below?

If so how the **** do I get it off? Whats it there for? Is it easily replaceable?

I had a bit of a dig last night. Its fooking welded in!!!!!

* Uncle Schakal * knitted by nanas since 1995 , now available with added GSOH
    you have to use a heat gun to soften it and scrape it off
    with something suitable .

I was gonna say i didn't find any rot in mine when i lifted the carpet.. i'll have to scrape the tar up and see how many holes can poke my finger through! :P

i can see a few areas that might be threw on them pics...when the tar stuff cracks that normall means RUST - RUST I TELL YA !

Yeah can spot quite a few potential nasties there.

Ah ok! Cheers for giving me hope men!

Well to be honest, if going from your cracks rule, seems to be only under the driver seat there where its cracked. Cant wait to get it up now! 2nd to last pic.