Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum User

remapping of ECU

Hello all,

What do you mean exactly when in several posts I read 'remapped ECU..' ??

Does it mean to change the ECU's EPROM ?

I recently got a valver and am planning to put in some high compression pistons and some cams along with some head & bottom end work therefore the ECU would need some work too.

Alot of you guys would ask why don't I just buy an F7R to start off with .. well that's what I would like but here in Malta these cars and engines are really rare. Infact there's just one Williams I know of in Malta.

Back to the ECU again .. I am asking the above because I doubt there is some one here in Malta who burns EPROMs. I have to check around.

Thanks,

David (MALTA) :D

Hi. In the case of Clios, yes remapping means writing a custom map and burning it to a new eprom.

If you can find someone who can write a map for your car then actually burning a new chip shouldn't be a problem. The eprom is a 27c256. Most universal programmers can write to them.

Contact Summeh. I believe he has an EPROM for 16 valve engines and can probably burn you a new chip. he's a bit busy right now so he may not reply immediately.

Forum User
    I tried to contact a local garage for a remap (guys are said to be the best in Malta)

This is what they replied;

Hi David

yes i can give you the service you are asking but the problem would be the software you are running for burning the ecu chip.

first of we have to start with what type of ecu and what type of software.
    the only downside of these systems are that they cant be mapped in real time so it cant be optimize to the full.

what i suggest you to do is to come at my workshop and we will have a word on this

thanks
    jason.

Now obviously considering that theres only 1 williams in Malta (hopefully soon another one of our friend James) and very few valvers, obviously these guys have never remapped a Clio before, I bet not even a Renault (the maltese really hate french cars!).

I know they have done several Honda's and that the results where very good.

Any help with the ECU type and software he referred to ?????

Forum User
    any help pleaseeeee ????

Hi, it is possible to map these ecu's in real time, but to do it involves de-soldering the original eprom and plugging in a device called an emulator. This -surprise, surprise!- 'emulates' the eprom. With this and the correct software, it is possible to edit the maps in real time. Emulators are expensive though. Without an emulator you have to take the longer process of editing the maps, burning a chip, editing the maps some more, burning another chip, etc.

Ecu's on modern cars store their maps on flash memory, which can be accessed without removing the chip, providing you have the right hardware.

If this company have done old Hondas then they'll know what sort of hardware/software is needed.

real-time mapping is the ONLY way to get the best results for your specific engine. generic chips are alright....but specific maps for YOUR car/engine are def better.

thats how mine was done...real-time....thru a lap top ;)

Forum User
    Ok, had a chat with the guy from the local garage.

He said he does have an emultor, what he is lacking is software to map my engine.

He said he only has software to do Honda's, never done a williams/16v before, and that if I manage to get some software to map my car then he can do it.

I've been to almost all ECU tuning shops in Malta.. no one offered any help

So I would greatly thankful if someone could help me get the required software.

PLEASE HELPPP

What emulator does he have?

Tell him to try Tunerpro.