Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best speakers to replace standard?

Which speakers would you guys suggest to replace the standard dash speakers in a MK1? I don't want to start cutting holes in the door cards or putting in an amp.

Re: Best speakers to replace standard?

Quote Originally Posted by Benvk
    Which speakers would you guys suggest to replace the standard dash speakers in a MK1? I don't want to start cutting holes in the door cards or putting in an amp.
    There's apparently quite a few that will fit directly. I'd like to know other peoples thoughts as well as I hate my stereo!

i had some 3.5" pioneer coaxials in there, sounded fine, also boschmann make some 200w ones, same fitment

i have kept the pioneers though and put them in my polo and the boschmanns i had have just sold pending payment

someone put phase 2 door cards in mine so I have door speakers in mine as well as those ones at the front.

I have a cunning plan for something but I need to get a set of both phase one cards and some phase two ones.

I've tried to keep my motor as stock as possible, but the standard placements for speakers mean the sounds would be waaaaay too tinny without a sub of some kind in there - So I've got for 4" FLI speakers in the dash and either side of the parcel shelf, with a sub (FLI 12") in the boot.

When I sell her the only thing I need to take out is the sub and it looks stock again - Nice and bassy and cheap too (£115 for all 4 speakers and the sub)

Problem I have is the original willy1 only had the two front speakers as standard. They SUCK!

Dont wanna start chopping things up really...may look at the boschmanns or Pioneers then...

The FLI's in mine fit no problems without chopping up anything - I've got a Willy 1 too... Basically just about any 4" will fit....

mmm, maybe they are 4" then, pretty sure i measured the cone at 3.5" however, or is it total diameter including cage etc that they go on for speaker sizes?

What I would like to know is would just uprating the dash speakers make that much difference? I know the old standard ones ones cant be that great...but still...

new head units generally have a greater change in sound quality than the speakers.

but to answer your question, yes, they most probably would. In 1994 OEM car stereos were generally shit.