Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    gearbox could be clutch issue but for me its always the synchros shedding teeth :( last box went like this, eventually could hardly get it into 3rd without a seriously long wait on upshift and literally no chance on downshift

coolant could be a million things. worst case its head gasket but check the oil cap for mayo and coolant cap for oil contamination. if theres none get a pressure check on the system done by a garage, may be able to pinpoint other issues such as leaking water pump, split hose, knackered rad or heater matrix, leaking stat housing etc etc

I also didn't have my pivot bush changed at the same time I had the clutch done & pretty much knackered the box

Water leak could be the pump or back corner of the headgasket.

Mat.

Forum User
    tut how long is this taking

I keep spending money on records and £200 fans and booze. My priorities are messed up. :D

I hope its not the water pump, thats all shiny and new. Equally the head gasket would quite annoying.

I'll get the garage to do a bit of digging about regarding the problems, the synchro thingy sounds interesting, your problem Coops sounds almost identical to mine. Sometimes the change is bang on, other times sounds like a washing machine full of rocks.

The oil thing is just it using oil like most old cars I think, its been subjected to lots of short journeys recently and not really been given chance to get warm, keeping an eye on it and have a bottle to top up when need be.

Water-wise, it was actually only the gap between min and max in the header that was the difference, I must have put less than 200ml of fluid in to top it up.

New brakes today. Pads and discs all round and calipers up front. POW.

Gearbox remains the same, but works perfectly higher up the rev range, so I'll just thrash it everywhere (once its warm, of course).

Next on the list is Steering. Lock to lock when still it sounds horrid and is far to heavy.

I'm pretty sure its linked to some belt or something or other, plus the pump whines. Can anyone help with me with a list of parts I should look into replacing. Is it worth going as far as the rack?

Could be a knackered PAS pump?

Rack dont generally 'go'. Would start leaking first more than anything

No.125 had similar heavy steering issues