Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Bought the engine and box separate but they're from the same car, the engine already had a newish clutch on it but I put a new one on anyway. Also got a new pivot bush in the box

* Uncle Schakal * knitted by nanas since 1995 , now available with added GSOH
    Quote Originally Posted by 16v_paddy
    Bought the engine and box separate but they're from the same car, the engine already had a newish clutch on it but I put a new one on anyway. Also got a new pivot bush in the box
    now we are on the same page :D
    you sure you fitted the clutch right way around ??
    what was the condition of the clutch release bearing ,
    have you replaced that ??

Thought the clutch could only go on 1 way round located the dowels on the flywheel into the holes for them on the cover plate

the release bearing is new as well, came with the clutch which is a valeo item

* Uncle Schakal * knitted by nanas since 1995 , now available with added GSOH
    Quote Originally Posted by 16v_paddy
    Thought the clutch could only go on 1 way round located the dowels on the flywheel into the holes for them on the cover plate

the release bearing is new as well, came with the clutch which is a valeo item
    i heard a few special people managed to fit it wrong way
    have you got correct grade and enough amount of oil in the box ??

have you tried spacing the clutch cable out to see
    if streching is the problem ??

Yeah, spaced it out with a load of washers & it made sod all difference

got plenty of oil in the box, the problem is that I can't put it in gear with the engine on while its on the floor

Forum User
    sorry might have been asked already, is the cable genuine renault and how old and has the clutch pedal assy been replaced recently.
    also while not relevant if you have to use spacers then surely that indicates a problem elsewhere that u are tryin to compensate for

Forum User
    just a thought was the linkage from the gear lever to gearbox linkage seperated, its the bit at the gearbox end thats clamped with nut and bolt if so it would require readjustment i think unlikely but worth mentioning just to cover all bases

Quote Originally Posted by busterhymes
    sorry might have been asked already, is the cable genuine renault and how old and has the clutch pedal assy been replaced recently.
    also while not relevant if you have to use spacers then surely that indicates a problem elsewhere that u are tryin to compensate for
    No not an OE cable but it was only put in around march - I'm hoping it's this but I'm not sure how it's supposed to go, tried to replace it myself when it snapped & I ****ed it up

Only trying spacers now to see if it's the cable stretching or something, but they've done sod all

Forum User
    i would suspect cable could be ur problem i had a similar issue when mine snapped non renault parts seem to vary in length on both inner and outer cable i replaced with renault item and my problem improved but when i changed the pedal adjuster mech perfect gear change
    renault cables about £30 i think

clutch cable 6001025926
    clutch pedal assy 7701467633

just to add when stood(engine not running) i could select all gears with engine running was near impossible to select first and same with second sound familiar

Quote Originally Posted by busterhymes
    just a thought was the linkage from the gear lever to gearbox linkage seperated, its the bit at the gearbox end thats clamped with nut and bolt if so it would require readjustment i think unlikely but worth mentioning just to cover all bases
    Yeah it was but I managed to sort that out can get all gears when stood as well as when the engine's running and it's off the ground.

Impossible to put in gear with the engine running and I'm not exactly a weedy runt either, tried shoving it in like a mofo

Here's a curve ball, it's been suggested that I could have put the friction plate of the clutch in the wrong way round.....any ideas on that?