Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by queegan
    motor factors i doubt very much maybe an engineering company i dont think u will get them through a motor factors because its such and internal part maybe wrong though. coz i tried a few places with no luck !
    as you're in Oxford, try a place called Oselli Engineering. Ask them about k-line inserts for valve guides

Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan@GDI
    Quote Originally Posted by queegan
    motor factors i doubt very much maybe an engineering company i dont think u will get them through a motor factors because its such and internal part maybe wrong though. coz i tried a few places with no luck !
    as you're in Oxford, try a place called Oselli Engineering. Ask them about k-line inserts for valve guides
    nice 1 yeah i rang them a coupld of weeks ago about something else never thought about askin them for the guides lol i have a another place called fk payne and sons in enshym is also a good engineering place in ox

* Uncle Schakal * knitted by nanas since 1995 , now available with added GSOH
    Quote Originally Posted by col
    If your replacin with new, no probably not,but if reusing tappets runnin in different holes they could stick.

Check the aluminium sleeve of each tappet an notice the different wear marks.

where actually could they stick ?

i mean its a cylinderical object and it goes into its slot by hand
    with no hassle . how can it possibly stick ?

Forum User
    i suppose you wouldnt consider putting the pistons into a different bore when u reassemble an engine same sort of thinking applies to all wearing parts small irregularities in the two surfaces wear together so where u could have a high spot on one item and a low spot on the corresponding component then u can see the prob if mismatching two parts both with high spots hence the comment of 'sticking'.
    all that said cant really see any major issues if u happened to put the hydraulic tappets back without noting the original positions maybe some of the guys who work with engines, craig for example could clear the matter up

Quote Originally Posted by busterhymes
    i suppose you wouldnt consider putting the pistons into a different bore when u reassemble an engine same sort of thinking applies to all wearing parts small irregularities in the two surfaces wear together so where u could have a high spot on one item and a low spot on the corresponding component then u can see the prob if mismatching two parts both with high spots hence the comment of 'sticking'.
    all that said cant really see any major issues if u happened to put the hydraulic tappets back without noting the original positions maybe some of the guys who work with engines, craig for example could clear the matter up
    with that way of thinking , if you are fitting brand new tappets into slots where there is allready wear from the old tappets .
    than how do they match ?

Forum User
    thats why i added my comment that i dont see the problem of u putting then back in but not necessarily in the same place as they were removed from, i just tried to give an explanation to your question using the piston/cylinder as an example of two matched wearing surfaces

Forum User
    Dont forget,your dealin with components "cold" ,so they will fit,but when things get hot they expand, hense they may stick.

Buster had it about right actually

I decided to ignore all the rules when i rebuilt my head.

Boshed all the valves back in, in a random order, i only bothered to number them when i started lapping them in.

Then all the tappets i just slung them in in approximately the correct order but didn't really pay too much attention.

Most of them dropped into the 'pot' with ease and spun around quite freely, some of them got stuck when i put them in so i remove them and tried them in different 'pots' until they were all seated comfortably.

Engine has been running for 5000 miles now without any issues. Tappets sound lovely when warm, a little tappy when cold but to be expected, i didn't bother priming them.

Quote Originally Posted by cliokiz
    I decided to ignore all the rules when i rebuilt my head.

Boshed all the valves back in, in a random order, i only bothered to number them when i started lapping them in.

Then all the tappets i just slung them in in approximately the correct order but didn't really pay too much attention.

Most of them dropped into the 'pot' with ease and spun around quite freely, some of them got stuck when i put them in so i remove them and tried them in different 'pots' until they were all seated comfortably.

Engine has been running for 5000 miles now without any issues. Tappets sound lovely when warm, a little tappy when cold but to be expected, i didn't bother priming them.
    thats exactly what i was after :D
    you said you lapped the valves in which they should seal fine
    have you noticed any excessive oil burning due to valves
    fitted in different slots ? (i.e :through stem seals )

No more than i'd expect really, it does burn oil, but show me a valver (or in my case, F7R) engine that doesn't.

No smoke out the exhaust.. although i'm running a cat so i probably wouldn't notice anyway.

The car has since made 156bhp on the rollers, and it's the first time i'd ever touched engine internals, so it can't be that bad!