Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: LSD's

Ive only driven a 172 with a quaiffe, and honestly couldnt tell it apart from std...twas shit.

Driven a couple of clios with plate LSD's, on the other hand, they do literally pull you into a corner. Very impressive.

For the money, Gripper would be what I go for on a road car. They are bottom of the scale price wise, but seam to do the job nicely...less adjustment with them, but unless you wanna pay £2k for a sadev diff thats kinda irrelavent.

Quote Originally Posted by stan
    Ive only driven a 172 with a quaiffe, and honestly couldnt tell it apart from std...twas s**t.

Driven a couple of clios with plate LSD's, on the other hand, they do literally pull you into a corner. Very impressive.

For the money, Gripper would be what I go for on a road car. They are bottom of the scale price wise, but seam to do the job nicely...less adjustment with them, but unless you wanna pay £2k for a sadev diff thats kinda irrelavent.
    Regards options there is very little compared to a 205 say. When i looked:-

Quaife - 850
    Gripper - 850
    Bacci - 1200
    Avanti - 1600

There the only really options (That i could find), the Bacci / Avanti is basically the same as the gripper and not worth twice the price. Gripper is bottom of the scale but not on performance as i dont see why that the Avanti / Bacci one is any better.

Mines been great so far but can be a handful with no PS.!

Avanti is better as it has larger clutch plates and more ramp and pre-load adjustment.

For those wanting to tune their car to the nth degree, this level of adjustment is well worth twice the price alone.

Sounds like a gripper might be fun then.

Good places to buy? I guess it would be a gearbox completely off job?

Avanti is better as it has larger clutch plates and more ramp and pre-load adjustment.

For those wanting to tune their car to the nth degree, this level of adjustment is well worth twice the price alone.
    There is the same level of ramp options "adjustment" isnt the word as ramp angles are fixed and preload which is the adjustment part as the avanti. Regards plate size im not sure.

So not worth twice the price,,,,as you have very similar if not that same adjustment as the Avanti and they are just as relaible. The avanti one is a copy of the BACCI one and 50 more expensive..

This was from the guy that does all the engines and gearboxes for Skip Brown, plus all the C2 /R2 cars....he looks after the Pink rallycar.

Quote Originally Posted by Wobba
    Sounds like a gripper might be fun then.

Good places to buy? I guess it would be a gearbox completely off job?
    Gearbox out and i would refurb it at the same time.

Call John MacMahon at Gripper differentials, i have put a load of people his way so mention me (Pink rally clio) and may give you some discount. He is really helpful.

Useuallt have great deal on in Jan at the Autosport show if you can wait that long..!

No need to justify your purchase to me mate.

And of course ramp angles are classed as adjustment...

Avanti use ZF differentials, I dont believe they are a copy of anything.

Plate size is smaller, so likely the clutch pack wont last as long, or have the same torque rating...but they seem to be doing fine on the clio scene.

Other areas to consider which will account for price difference are materials, treatments, machining tolerances, all account for overall quality and longevity. Im not saying Gripper is necessarliy less quality, but there is probably a good reason why a Sadev unit is 3 times the price.

No need to justify your purchase to me mate.

And of course ramp angles are classed as adjustment...

Avanti use ZF differentials, I dont believe they are a copy of anything.

Plate size is smaller, so likely the clutch pack wont last as long, or have the same torque rating...but they seem to be doing fine on the clio scene.

Other areas to consider which will account for price difference are materials, treatments, machining tolerances, all account for overall quality and longevity. Im not saying Gripper is necessarliy less quality, but there is probably a good reason why a Sadev unit is 3 times the price.
    Not justifying anything just trying to give as much info relating to the posted question..Sadev are top draw and are used lots in the Peogeut world too, far better than Quaife which he siad they have had issues with in particular their sequential box.

Oh i mentioned clutches and only lasting 5-6 event on a 230hp sprint car, now on that point he said thats definately not right (product or fitment?).... when he has used helix paddles they last for at least 2 seasons (on a rally car and they do more starts and more milage, generally more abuse ) usually more on similar and more powerful fwd cars.

Anyways off topic....

Quote Originally Posted by AndyFielder
    http://www.gearboxman.co.uk/psdiffsgripper.html ?? just came up in google
    Thanks!

Ok thanks EVO. I can wait that long, I wont be doing it for a while anyway as I need to save up, sort the rust first, and couple of other things first and I may have this 'ere megane 714 head worked on first too...