Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Clio 2 window & indicators problem w/ clicking in dash

First post so hope you peeps can help and apologies if posted in wrong place

Today I bought a 5-door 1.4 16v Clio (2001 i think) but there is an intermittent fault affecting the electric window and direction indicators. On starting the engine i can normally hear what i believe is a relay clicking for a short period (maybe 30 seconds) during this time both the electric windows and the direction indicators work on/off in time with the clicking. Once the clicking has stopped both functions work as expected most of the time. However during a short trip this evening after the clicking stopped neither function would operate. I stopped the car on the road, restarted the engine, but this time no clicking and both functions worked immediately. I think i paid a good price but not if these electric functions aren't going to work, if i had to wait 30 seconds each time then maybe i`d stomach it but not at all isn't an option !! So an intermittent electric fault of sorts ?

Can anyone suggest what this may be, and more importantly how to fix it ?

Any help much appreciated.

might want to check the wiring loom in the doors... i.e. where it goes from the door to the chassis, might be a few wires snapped or something, happens on pugs, not sure if clio 2's suffer from it. it's the first place i'd look, also check the earths are good.

Forum User
    Again like summeh said, try connector to electric motor ,as the connections there seem to corrode.........i had a 02 clio an a r5 with similar problems.

I have now found that windscreen wipers are also affected by this issue ...

- windscreen wipers
    - electric windows
    - indicators

This 'clicking' appears to originate from just behind the fuse board (passenger side front) if that helps ?

col - Where is the electric motor ?

Quote Originally Posted by BigDutch
    I have now found that windscreen wipers are also affected by this issue ...

- windscreen wipers
    - electric windows
    - indicators

This 'clicking' appears to originate from just behind the fuse board (passenger side front) if that helps ?

col - Where is the electric motor ?
    The clicking is the relays, that's where some are located. they are little grey or brown squares.

I would say faulty wiring or earth. May need to take the dash cover off and have a look and/or fit an earth wire from the dash to the chassis.

The plot thickens .... there is (or appears to be) a 'trim cover' missing that would be above the passenger feet, looking up here i can see two looms, if i 'wiggle' one the relay clicking stops and all items function as expected! Need to obtain some sort of wiring guide and get the voltmeter out to check some circuit continuity ... any ideas ?

Have also found, hoping unrelated, that the washer liquid pump makes the right noise but no output, removed all output lines and still nothing so not a blocked pipe. Where can one buy spare parts on the web ?

PM Mat Brown for washer bottle/pump. I think there's loads of them about tbh, or try breakers yard.

Forum User
    I luckily rebuilt my electric washer motors........they usually play up cause seals leak water into motor.

sounds like the UCH to me with so many different things going wrong, around £200+vat for the part and needs coding at a dealers

your looking at a bill of £300+

I`m in Cyprus and a local auto-electric concurs that its the UCH, the quoted price from the 'official' Renault agent is €500 for the part and €200 for the labour - exchanges to approx £600 !!