Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Ive seen portformance vs APD flow graphs.

Craigs flows heads to give gains across the entire range. Portformance was very peaky it didnt gain anything till after 8mm of lift from what i remember.

Angelworks was dog shit (i had to get mine redone)

Quote Originally Posted by Richardcard1974
    Quote Originally Posted by Evogone
    Not worth the expense in my opinion.
    Why not ? on all my previous car i have made 20-25hp just through working the head, "cnc heads/ric wood" are very good. 1.9 205 / 16v redtop etc...

There must be gains to be had....?
    Because of the simple fact that the williams head is already well made and it cannot be ported to give major gains.

25 bhp is fantasy island territory for a williams for headwork.

With mild cams and headwork you will make realistically about 15 -20 bhp

Most williams in this spec will be running about 170 - 175 bhp. A rebuild will probably give you another few bhp on top of that.

At most youll get circa 5 bhp from porting. You can get more from changing the valves sizes, but stan will know more about this than me.
    Im sure APD have done cars with 190+hp with just headwork and cams.....

Im sure he will comment..

I have one engine from Nick Hill with headwork and two from Prima and i cant tell any difference in any of them.

Even cams seesm to make little difference.

Best mod i ever did was getting a rebuild. Engine felt like a rocket ship after that thanks to mr hill.

Why not ? on all my previous car i have made 20-25hp just through working the head, "cnc heads/ric wood" are very good. 1.9 205 / 16v redtop etc...

Because of the simple fact that the williams head is already well made and it cannot be ported to give major gains.

Most williams in this spec will be running about 170 - 175 bhp. A rebuild will probably give you another few bhp on top of that.

At most youll get circa 5 bhp from porting. You can get more from changing the valves sizes, but stan will know more about this than me.

Big valve head innit.

190 from headwork (porting) and cams is lala land dreamer town.

Forum User
    but works clio ran 280bhp from cams headwork and bodies...

so yes it is possible..just needs a very good head with cams and a very good re-map..

Forum User

^^ Snowman's car - he frequents RSC more so. Produced very good figures from memory although I think he had issues with the standalone ECU he was using shortly after... :(

Quote Originally Posted by Laine_16v
    Ive seen portformance vs APD flow graphs.

Craigs flows heads to give gains across the entire range. Portformance was very peaky it didnt gain anything till after 8mm of lift from what i remember.
    'Peaky' flow figures does not equal peaky engine son - carry on researching :D
    Infact if you have too much flow without the lift you can infact cause a car to become 'flat' in operation - losing power at a certain points of its operation...

Without this becoming another 'Port-Formance V every tuner in the world thread' I think the gains they showed with the maps from chipwizards were impressive - even if the maps themself weren't (hangers are a no-no IMO).

a massive shout for apd.

Having no gain before 8mm of lift, then a nice gain after 8mm of lift...is not good. Especially considering std cams lift to say 10mm of lift, and most modified about 11mm. SO in terms of lift versus gain, there is a gain between 8 and 10/11mm...this isnt good, as obviously the valve lift cycle covers 0-10/11mm lift.

The headwork i do provides a gain over the whole lift cycle. It doesnt take much logic to decide this is ALOT better than what is described above.

The other aspect, which is very important, is velocity. Im probably one of the few head flow people who has spent the time velocity mapping ports on these heads, to find what works and what doesnt. I know for a fact the other people mentioned here dont do this.
    Once my engine dyno cell is complete, this will be fully verified, leading to a range of heads with specific ENGINE gains...again something nobody does anymore..

Steve if you want any more info from me, drop me an email/pm.

Big valve head innit.

190 from headwork (porting) and cams is lala land dreamer town.
    Nope, big valves werent required for the level of spec.

My williams headwork, catcams 5502225, wossner forged pistons giving 12.5:1 Cr, and a PROPERLY built engine, not just cobbled togther...but proper attention to detail on all clearances (this makes a considerable difference alone).
    This made 192/193bhp or there abouts. Which is coincidentally 5% more than the same spec without the pistons. 5% being the theoretical gain from 2.5 points increase in comp ratio.

So SpongeRob shows "again" you dont really know much.......

Thanks Stan will pop you a PM.

Is there anyway of finding out the spec of my cams ?