Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Detailing

Detailing

I have recently used a meguiars washing glove thingy on my car and it seems to have retained a lot more dirt than a good old sponge. the effect of this is that I have now put a ton of swirl marks into the paintwork.

Something I have been interested in is detailing, but never had the money or know-how on how to do it properly.

At this stage I wanna get the swirls removed obviously and a nice polish would be good, but would like opinions on methods or products people use.

Cheers, Wobba.

I have the 3 stage meguirers stuff if u wana borrow it to see how u get on...takes up most of the day tho! LOL

spent 6 hours cleaning my old mans Accord the other weekend.

Wash, Clay, Polish, Wax, Seal...

Long day but tiring.

Awesome yea! I'll deffo give it a try! If I like it I'll buy some and you can borrow whatever I end up getting in return hehe.

Is it like a clay bar on stage 1? Obviously it will need a good clean first. It looks a mess at the mo :( May redo my skuttle panel as it is a little patchy after I spilt petrol all over the place...

the meguiars wash mitt is poor imo, i use mine only for below the bumpstrips and wheels, high quality lamswool washmitt is better, are you using 2 buckets ie one with the shampoo and another containing just water to rinse the washmitt into, this helps to keep grit out of the bucket that holds the shampoo.

As far as swirl removal goes, you can do it by hand but a machine such as a porter cable or megs g220 will make it so much easier

Quote Originally Posted by katbloke
    the meguiars wash mitt is poor imo, i use mine only for below the bumpstrips and wheels, high quality lamswool washmitt is better, are you using 2 buckets ie one with the shampoo and another containing just water to rinse the washmitt into, this helps to keep grit out of the bucket that holds the shampoo.

As far as swirl removal goes, you can do it by hand but a machine such as a porter cable or megs g220 will make it so much easier
    I think it was the meguiars mit that has put the scratches in. I've never had this problem before and now my swirl marks are very noticeable.

I cant really justify the outlay for a porter cable at this time, and being a newbie I'd probably screw it up even more.

As for 2 bucket method, I admit I've not been doing it as my other bucket has become full of shit from oil changes etc hehe.

I'll defo give the Meguairs 3 stage a spin though :D Bank holiday is booked then!

Excellent yea ok then. Dan i want my scuttle and all my black bits doing too....maybe we could help each other here!!

I always use the 2 bucket method....i actually have about 4 buckets....dan u can have one if u want to.

Do u have autoglym bumper shine....i really want some... :D

I dont have the bumper shine :(

I can sort your skuttle for you if you like, I have a spare you can put on temporarily I think...not good if it rains and you have not got it on!

The mirrors can be sprayed, but have to be done just right, not done my Willy ones yet.

A spare bucket would be AWESOME! I may get a clay bar too...it's gonna be a long hard day I reckon...

Quote Originally Posted by Wobba
    I dont have the bumper shine :(

I can sort your skuttle for you if you like, I have a spare you can put on temporarily I think...not good if it rains and you have not got it on!

The mirrors can be sprayed, but have to be done just right, not done my Willy ones yet.

A spare bucket would be AWESOME! I may get a clay bar too...it's gonna be a long hard day I reckon...
    Yea ur right, u wana cum to mine to clean it all up?

if you like the AG bumper gel you should see black wow, its awesome even though like AG the longevity isnt there