172 experiences so far!

First off I've always swore my 172 was slower than my old Williams - I wish I'd have put them side by side but didn't trust anyone enough to drive on or the other!

The day my 172's engine went pop several hours earlier I had an awesome 'play' with an early shape Audi S3, I learnt a lot about the new car that day, namely how easy it is to miss second gear! Upto 80 mph from standing and round every corner he went nowhere infact in third I was reeling him in.

Then it went pop and snapped its piston due to shoddy work before I bought it - fast forward and I had an epic chase glued to the back of a mk5 r32 tonight - learnt and awful lot more about my car and one of those!

Firstly they sound awesome, secondly I like my new engine although it does feel tight (its on 22k!) thirdly I found the limit of a 172 on a road I love so much and its not as high as the Williams was! fourthly an r32 with 2 people in upto 110 chocolate m&m's and stevie wonder in the background is suprisingly easy to hold onto - (it seems 3rd is the 172s favourite gear) and they are suprisingly planted on the turns, the 172 was a lot more floaty and frisky where the golf was very stable and looked untroubled.

Then I finally learnt that up onto lancashires autobahn its gave over - I hit a wall at 125 (m&m's!) and it stormed past me - the Williams would pull and pull and this seems to give up in 5th for ages till it comes on cam - bit too long and silly for me though to be waiting. I also think I have a huge blow in the backbox now.

So there you go, I'm now alot happier about selling the williams and getting the 172 but I still feel the willy would have charged harder!

Make that another S3 - Ooooo I can't wait till I can get more power out of the ****er!

J o n
    172's are good cars, little soft, but nothing that cant be changed with some choice mods! Get on it lad, plenty you can do with these engines!

I think mine is quicker than my old Williams but it's very hard to say. Sounds daft but the speedo is alot bigger in the 172 and makes it look as if it is moving quicker tbh.

I think that little extra softness you speak of is what I like about it most at the moment... 90% of the willy fun but so sensible when you want it to be.

The Willy is more raw, so you fee like you are going faster

Despite this, I have been very surprised so far. A Trophy at full blast didn't gain any ground with both of us at full chat and a 182 cup was ever so slightly slower at high speeds than Willy, and that was with a valve issue (now fixed).

Only thing that smoked me (and I mean, very smoked) has been a 3.0 Noble M12.

Still, it's not as fast as some cars I've had in a straight line but boy, does it destroy anything on the twisties hehe!

I reckon this car in my hands is quicker than the willy in my hands point to point, purely because I have no problem raping this harder than the willy, silver 172s are ten a penny!

Actually its probably a lot to do with the brakes, they're the best standard brakes I've driven with, and its need of new pads all round desperately!

Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Daz.
    I reckon this car in my hands is quicker than the willy in my hands point to point, purely because I have no problem raping this harder than the willy, silver 172s are ten a penny!

Actually its probably a lot to do with the brakes, they're the best standard brakes I've driven with, and its need of new pads all round desperately!
    agreed on the brakes, the std 172/182 brakes are a mile better then mk1 brakes!

Forum User
    Your engine went pop? sorry dont really keep up on here now tbh, last i heard you bought a 172, lady owner? wtf happened?

ps.always found my williams to be quicker than the trophy i used to have regular run ins with.