Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Forum User
    You started it.[/quote]

its like being back at school..

* Uncle Schakal * knitted by nanas since 1995 , now available with added GSOH
    Quote Originally Posted by Richardcard1974
    Quote Originally Posted by schakal
    Weight saving is for gays. Real men build STRONG cars. The stronger it is the harder you can drive it before it breaks.
    ahh so you admit you were kinda ghay while you were saving
    weight in the past ? shame you could not pay your server bills
    i could have got some links of proof from your website :D
    I think i could manage 5 pounds a month schaks. The data base is still there, its just its not ONLINE anymore. Dont you worry about that my loverly.
    i give you a tenner if you be quiet for 5 :D

Quote Originally Posted by MAXIBOY
    You started it.
    its like being back at school.. [/quote]

You wouldnt last 5 minutes in my class. Id ask you to tell me the chemical element to the left of iron on the periodic table and send you out when you didnt know thew answer.

Weight saving is for gays. Real men build STRONG cars. The stronger it is the harder you can drive it before it breaks.
    ahh so you admit you were kinda ghay while you were saving
    weight in the past ? shame you could not pay your server bills
    i could have got some links of proof from your website :D
    I think i could manage 5 pounds a month schaks. The data base is still there, its just its not ONLINE anymore. Dont you worry about that my loverly.
    i give you a tenner if you be quiet for 5 :D
    Sorry i thought you wanted some help with these top mounts?

Forum User
    workin in the steel industry.......3mm upto5mm would be more than adequate,,,,,,,,,have you tried bending 3mm steel?...........

.......8mm?....well thats one way of lowering the front end

* Uncle Schakal * knitted by nanas since 1995 , now available with added GSOH
    Quote Originally Posted by col
    workin in the steel industry.......3mm upto5mm would be more than adequate,,,,,,,,,have you tried bending 3mm steel?...........

nice one mate :D
    4mm seems to be the ticket for me .

Quote Originally Posted by MAXIBOY
    You started it.
    its like being back at school..
    You wouldnt last 5 minutes in my class. Id ask you to tell me the chemical element to the left of iron on the periodic table and send you out when you didnt know thew answer.[/quote]

lol and why would anyone care?!

Forum User
    its all hes got.. :D

sorry but i totally disagree with this.

8mm plate steel like rob is using is ideal.

3mm will bend. FULLSTOP

5mm may bend. possibly not so much as 3mm, but with the forces involved i wouldnt be playing with my life on it.

im a mechanical engineer, and my job consists of daily fabricating, modifying, examining and assessing large scale agricultural equipment on a farm 12,000+ acres. :( the following is my input and views which can be discussed, riduculed and such like.

remember that modifying such an integral part of the car is a job that has to be done right otherwise could lead to a disaster!

8mm steel would be adequate, 10mm or 12 a bit over the top but at the same time nowt wrong with it (other than extra weight!).

as for bolting them down, you would have to mount from below the turret to work properly, and possibly another plate on top, like a sandwich. 5mm would be fine for this.

i wouldnt use any bolts or kits that use less than M10 bolts rated to 8.8 preferably 10.9.

any welding should be carried out by a skilled blacksmith/fabricator who will know what size of weld seams to run and can garuantee that any welding wont crack under the stresses and vibrations!

for the likes of most things to do with modifying im not very anal, but important things like this its best to make sure its done right!

Quote Originally Posted by stew

sorry but i totally disagree with this.

8mm plate steel like rob is using is ideal.

3mm will bend. FULLSTOP

5mm may bend. possibly not so much as 3mm, but with the forces involved i wouldnt be playing with my life on it.

im a mechanical engineer, and my job consists of daily fabricating, modifying, examining and assessing large scale agricultural equipment on a farm 12,000+ acres. :( the following is my input and views which can be discussed, riduculed and such like.

remember that modifying such an integral part of the car is a job that has to be done right otherwise could lead to a disaster!

8mm steel would be adequate, 10mm or 12 a bit over the top but at the same time nowt wrong with it (other than extra weight!).

as for bolting them down, you would have to mount from below the turret to work properly, and possibly another plate on top, like a sandwich. 5mm would be fine for this.

i wouldnt use any bolts or kits that use less than M10 bolts rated to 8.8 preferably 10.9.

any welding should be carried out by a skilled blacksmith/fabricator who will know what size of weld seams to run and can garuantee that any welding wont crack under the stresses and vibrations!

for the likes of most things to do with modifying im not very anal, but important things like this its best to make sure its done right!
    Informative, informed and concise.