Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Forum User

First Drive - I Love My Williams

Drove my Williams properly for the first time last night and then to work this morning, I LOVE it
    The engine pulls nice and strong, getting better as it gets all the way round the rev counter, I didn’t real feel any drop in power till it was at the limiter (which I hit a couple of times without intending too as it was just reving sweetly). The front wheels seemed a bit prone to spinning up when going from a standing start, but it was raining and I know the tyres are not new. So these are on the change list. Should I stay 185 55 or go to 195 50??
    Couldn’t test the handling too much as it was wet country lanes and I think the headlight bulbs may have been replaced with candles as some point!!!! So some upgrade investigation required here.
    Seats are really comfy with good support (still finding the perfect driving position), gear change is OK for the mileage but has got a bit of slop in! Brakes stop nice and straight, seem pretty sharp too.
    Couple of bad points, need to change the awful pedal covers, which are huge and don’t add anything to the driving experience. The stereo does not sound great and the interior needs a REALLY good clean, a couple of bulbs in switches have blown and the throttle is sticking very slightly.
    Then one thing I can’t decide on is the exhaust, haven’t a clue on the make but it is very loud, which is fun but then gets a bit tiring on the motorway, especially when the stereo is pants!!! These really don’t put me off the car at all though, and it is a very positive start to Williams owning and driving

Re: First Drive - I Love My Williams

Quote Originally Posted by stevefesta
    Drove my Williams properly for the first time last night and then to work this morning, I LOVE it
    The engine pulls nice and strong, getting better as it gets all the way round the rev counter, I didn’t real feel any drop in power till it was at the limiter (which I hit a couple of times without intending too as it was just reving sweetly). The front wheels seemed a bit prone to spinning up when going from a standing start, but it was raining and I know the tyres are not new. So these are on the change list. Should I stay 185 55 or go to 195 50??
    Couldn’t test the handling too much as it was wet country lanes and I think the headlight bulbs may have been replaced with candles as some point!!!! So some upgrade investigation required here.
    Seats are really comfy with good support (still finding the perfect driving position), gear change is OK for the mileage but has got a bit of slop in! Brakes stop nice and straight, seem pretty sharp too.
    Couple of bad points, need to change the awful pedal covers, which are huge and don’t add anything to the driving experience. The stereo does not sound great and the interior needs a REALLY good clean, a couple of bulbs in switches have blown and the throttle is sticking very slightly.
    Then one thing I can’t decide on is the exhaust, haven’t a clue on the make but it is very loud, which is fun but then gets a bit tiring on the motorway, especially when the stereo is pants!!! These really don’t put me off the car at all though, and it is a very positive start to Williams owning and driving
    The wheels will spin in first whatever the weather if you thrash it, they do in my Valver let alone a Williams! 185 55 if you like originality, or 195 50 if you wanna save some money! And Osram Nightbreaker bulbs are a good upgrade, £13 on ebay I think.

Forum User
    yeah bulbs and even headlights need changing sometimes...

and there never great then..some upgrade to hids..

might get a few versions too.

what the limiter set at now... can raise it a little..

post a pic of the exhaust and someone will identify it i'm sure.. :D

then we can tell you how load it is compared to standard..

Excellent! Yea they will wheelspin in the wet easily hehe.

Glad you like it, they are cracking little cars :D

I put some "show use only" bulbs in my car as the dipped is 80w and full is 100w, think std ones are 35/50w. I can see very well at night now
    As for dash lights and switches not working I just went to a scap yard and took loads of lil bulbs out of a Laguna clocks, now every light works on the car.

The bulbs in the actual switches can be a right pain, I messed up one of mine and ended up having to get an entire switch...

Forum User
    Thanks for the tips on bulbs, will look into something over easter holiday
    Will get pics of the exhaust at some point, found a reciept for a magnex one in the documents, but can't see any markings on the actual exhaust.

As for the limiter, haven't a clue. I wasn't looking at dials close enough when it cut in to know. What should it be standard?

Took one of my friends out last night and he things there may be an engine mount gone / going!! and the alarm went of in the middle of the night! Don't think it liked the wind.

Std limmiter is at 6500 on the red line, it hits like driving into a bloody wall. I now have a gunner chip set to 7200 ish in come in softly its soooo much nicer, not that I rev it that hard I just change around 7000 now.

How do you replace the bulbs in the switches Wobba?

The bulb in my rear screen di-mister switch has gone

stick with 185's all day long.