Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

FAO MOT testing people

will my car pass it's MOT with this rot?

also if it won't, whats the situation, can i drive it anywhere to get it fixed? as i maybe able to get it done for a decent price, but the place is 20miles away and the car won;t be taxed due to no MOT.. help

if you put the interior panel back in they wont see most of it

aye...tester will never see that.
    slap some paint on the underside if its showing.

so whats the legal status on driving it to/from the MOT place and driving it somwhere to get it fixed?

From memory, you can legally drive a car with no tax nor MOT if you are going from the cars location directly to the testing station. you are allowed to go to the PO if you are renewing out of date tax too from when i checked last.

The law has to be relatively lax as people cannot afford to trailer it everytime, they'd simply leave them and have the council come and remove them, its good to have a little leeway here and there...

But be warned, with the new system they may ask for proof of appointment and not simply a 'favor' from a friend whos a mechanic to pencil you in etc..

Forum User
    Technically speaking YOU ARE allowed to take a untaxed car for a prebooked mot if it fails however you are supposed to leave the car at the mot testing station for repairs ( if driving it back you have an accident you have NO mot tax or insurance) also you CANNOT take a untaxed car to the post office to tax it( to drive an untaxed car on the public highway is against the law) tax it online is the best way but then technically speaking you cannot drive it untill you recieve the disc thro the post its also an offence to drive a car NOT displaying an upto date disc or to drive a car failing to display a disc . i am the law!

well what happens if the MOT centre want to rape me over sill replacement? can i not travel elsewhere?

Would then be your responsibility to trailor it elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by PC-PLOD
    Technically speaking YOU ARE allowed to take a untaxed car for a prebooked mot if it fails however you are supposed to leave the car at the mot testing station for repairs ( if driving it back you have an accident you have NO mot tax or insurance) also you CANNOT take a untaxed car to the post office to tax it( to drive an untaxed car on the public highway is against the law) tax it online is the best way but then technically speaking you cannot drive it untill you recieve the disc thro the post its also an offence to drive a car NOT displaying an upto date disc or to drive a car failing to display a disc . i am the law!
    that has changed! as long as you have applied online and are awaiting the disc being delivered, you have 5 days grace from the day you purchased the disc.
    CLIO WILLIAMS 0215

Technically speaking YOU ARE allowed to take a untaxed car for a prebooked mot if it fails however you are supposed to leave the car at the mot testing station for repairs ( if driving it back you have an accident you have NO mot tax or insurance)
    You're allowed to drive to and from a pre-booked MOT regardless of it it passes or not (unless the car is deemed to be unsafe) without MOT or tax.

Insurance (at least your third party liability) is unaffected by tax and MOT status.

also you CANNOT take a untaxed car to the post office to tax it( to drive an untaxed car on the public highway is against the law) tax it online is the best way but then technically speaking you cannot drive it untill you recieve the disc thro the post its also an offence to drive a car NOT displaying an upto date disc or to drive a car failing to display a disc .
    as said, you have 5 days grace if you're taxing it online, but this only applies to renewals.

i am the law!
    seeing as you're the law, if I was driving to/from a pre-booked MOT with no tax, am I still required to display the old, out of date tax disc?