Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Clio Sport/172 hubs and front calipers Q: What driveshafts?

Just installed upgraded brakes to Williams 2 - 172 front hubs and calipers and that makes track width wider than original Willy width. Already noted that Williams drive shafts are possibly too short and they can pop out from box end, but does 172/Sport has longer dirve shafts?

Do right/left saft fit directly to willy box? Other end anyhow will as they are from 172/Sport?

R. Harri

PS. original brakes worked fine 5:45 hour out of 6 hours endurance race, got new Ferodo 2500DS pads but they faded off 15 mins before finish line

172 shafts should fit straight in and will be the correct length. Not sure on the actual amount they are longer but they are.

19 16v Shafts might fit, as there slightly longer than Williams items, There was a chap on here using 172 hubs and i remember him using a 19 16v drivers side shaft,

Top item is a 19 16v Item, Middle a Williams Bottom a Valver item
    Might help you with comparison

172 shafts is what you need....

the ends that go through the shaft are fatter on the 172 hubs... so clio and 19 shafts are no good

YouCan however Use the Clio/19 inner hub assembly to get around that! ;)

Thanks guys, then hunt is on for 172 shafts. Do you know if 1.2/1.4/1.6 shafts are similar to 2.0. Those would be so much easier to find than 2.0/Sport shafts?

sport ones are longer i believe matey

You don't need the 172 shafts.

All you need to do is put some 16v clio bearings into the 172 hubs.

You can use the drivers side 19 drive shaft as its a little longer, but the williams ones are fine.

Just swap those bearings and job done.

p.s (i was the chap who had them on my williams!)

Paul

What did happen already is that one shaft popped out of gearbox (original Williams) but luckily did not break anything else but dogbone once engine was pushed sideways. Hence, I would prefer to install longer shafts, it's a fact that ride width is some 20mm wider with Megane/Scenic hubs and original shafts are naturally a bit short. Car is lowered a lot, maybe that makes this even more critical.

I can find lot's of R19 16V shafts, 172 Sport is more difficult. Do anyone know if R19 shafts are identical length with 172?

R. Harri

Quote Originally Posted by rs27carrera
    What did happen already is that one shaft popped out of gearbox (original Williams) but luckily did not break anything else but dogbone once engine was pushed sideways. Hence, I would prefer to install longer shafts, it's a fact that ride width is some 20mm wider with Megane/Scenic hubs and original shafts are naturally a bit short. Car is lowered a lot, maybe that makes this even more critical.

I can find lot's of R19 16V shafts, 172 Sport is more difficult. Do anyone know if R19 shafts are identical length with 172?

R. Harri
    Use 172 shafts......!