Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    as the prake pipes are in a green coating you can clean them up with henry cloth and put some green paint on. if there is no corrosion or bad pitting in the pipe then it can't fail. this is just a easy way of getting round it.

It's the brake hose itself they are moaning about. Cant see any problems with them tbh.

I've rounded the union off completely now. I was going to saw the pipe and put a new union on but the spring that holds it on wont come off so I tried to saw it off...2 hacksaw blades later and I am screwed as I have no more :(

GAME OVER.

SOUND LIKE A JOB FOR DREMEL OR GRINDER. HA
    IS THE PIPE PERISHED ???

Quote Originally Posted by SIMONCLIODIMMA
    SOUND LIKE A JOB FOR DREMEL OR GRINDER. HA
    IS THE PIPE PERISHED ???
    Brake line looks fine, apart from the scratches i made. Brake hose looks fine too, but they say its shagged...

Think you have some dodgy mot stations down your end of country thats all i can say. ha

Quote Originally Posted by SIMONCLIODIMMA
    Think you have some dodgy mot stations down your end of country thats all i can say. ha
    The place I am going to today is going to give me another opinion on this as well. Thing is, I was going to replace the hoses anyway with braided R19 16v ones which are arriving next week...

I would seriously consider informing VOSA that you think the MOT garage you went to first are up to no good. You know your car inside out and for it to come back with suspicious faults isn't right - especially on the petrol front; what if it had gone up in flames and you had a child in the car?

You can also inform them of how they recommended work on the rear and highlighted such an unnecessarily large area. It will be on the computer that they failed it, you'd just have to supply the pics you took.

I wouldn't let them get away with it - dodgy ****ers are the one who cause such distrust of garages in the general public

This is why I don't trust garages I am afraid. I've been ripped off so many times and seen poor work and heard so many tales...

They could justify the rear corrosion by saying if they can punch a hole in it with a screwdriver then it wont take an impact etc.

It would be very hard for me to prove the wiring had been messed with or that the petrol lines had been loosened too.

True, true, but worth raising your suspicions as they may 'mystery shopper' test it...

I am back from the welders. Got it patch welded.

They did the headlights too but as he did it out of hours the guy could not MOT it or do the brake hose (he said it looked like a shit job lol). He loved the car and did a tiny a weld as possible and undersealed it for me too.

£30.

You can't see the weld at all from the side of the car. When he ground the area back we found other little holes that had been filled with filler! He showed me the tools they use to test corrosion areas, it's abbreviated as 'CAT', corrosion area tester or something.

Gonna leave the car till Saturday and finish brakes myself then, and get it MOT'd on Monday.

Will also do a full work over of the cooling system, as I suspect my radiator is full of crap.