Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gear Linkage / Reverse Gear Help

Its been along time since i posted in here!!

I cant get the hybrid to go in reverse! Its the most ultimate pain in the arse of all time!

Pretty much everything else is working but this... need help from anyone with ideas or a haynes manual to tell me what i need to do.

1,2,3,4,5 is fine and i did get reverse a few times but since re adjustment i cant get reverse... help!!

It's fiddly, but I think you will need to adjust the gear linkage under the rubber boot under the gearbox.

Probably only need to adjust it 0.5mm or less, anticlockwise if you are looking at the front of the car, or just try pot luck and see how many other gears you can lose like I did

as above, just loosen the adjustment retaining nut on the linkage, not under a boot, its just along from the connecting nut to the box, rotate the linkage end one 'click' if u get me either way, if its worse then go under again and rotate 2 clicks the other way, if thats better then 1 click increments till it works right. make sure you tighten up the bolt FULLY in between each test otherwise the linkage will slip and then u have to start all over which is a right ball ache

Sorry eya, its not actually under the boot, it's just before it, but I remember shifting my boot a bit to get a better grip for adjustment.

are the 'clicks' fairly noticeable?

yes, i find best way is to break of adjustment nut, then undo other nut and remove linkage from box, then fully loosen the adjustment nut. then twist the whole linkage till it locks against the underside of the car somewhere in direction ur gonna turn the adjustable end if u get me, that way dont have to hold it in place with arm strength. then use a pair of pliers to hold end that bolts to box and very gently turn it till it clicks

Im glad wc can help as usuall... 16valver are just posting the same thing worded differently 5 times as a reply which is no help!!

Coops i dont fully understand your locking off tecnique.

I drove it yesterday seems like 2nd and 4th are going in to gear fully without going back far enough in the H gate. Im going to shorten the linkage slightly and see if that will alow for that little extra i need to get it to click int reverse... im so bloody close its unreal!

when the linage is off the box end, just push it up onto chassis, so when u twist the adjustable end bit with the pliers the whole lot doesnt rotate. its just easier and more accurate then trying to counterhold it with your hand is all

get the angle on it right first before you start making it shorter or longer as if its out by a click or 2 it can feel and look like its too short or long but its not, its just the angles out. dont open up another can of worms

lol.. ok

i can feel revers but just cant get into it.... i will have a go like you say and see... bloody french cars!!

If it is near the right adjustment already I would not take it all off. You can do that and it will allow better fine tuning but you will have to keep putting it back together to restest it.

I got very good at adjusting it by tiny amounts with the clamp bolt loose and it all connected.

I would have to disagree with Mr Coops on adjusting the length after the angle. The length is easier to do, much easier, and doing it after the fine tuning can put you at square one as it messes it up again!

In your case you need to push the clevis or whatever its called further into the gear linkage, then adjust it so you can get reverse.

You'll get the hang of it!