Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ah, the joys of a 'simple' fix......

the williams started blowing badly from the exhuast at engine end last wednesday night, so i limped it back and forth to work for last 2 days of the week and booked it in saturday morning at the garage for them to have a nosey at it, couldnt be arsed doing it myself.

n saturday i'm informed the downpipe has started to split just below the join to manifold, so i raise mr mat brown and get a new mani and d/p to be recieved next week. later that day matt_valver pops down to lay a deposit on the willy wheels he's buying, and at same time a random lass in a fiesta pulls up and asks if the willy is mine. erm yes love, why? turns out her fella has a willy 2 he's breakin, shes pissed off its still on drive and he's not done out with it yet. so quick phonecall to him after she's left and i've sorted a downpipe for 20 quid, awesome! ring mat, cancel post order and leave it all till this morning.

on the way to chesterfield to pick up the downpipe, theres a crack and a clang and then the blow is like savage loud, so limp to this lads place and sort the transaction, limp home and crack on with fitting new pipe

new pipe waiting to go on

undo one sprung bolt to old downpipe, and then try to crack the one nearest the wheel, no socket fits it and its seized solid, so have to hammer a socket on and go for it........

yep u guessed it, snapped the ****in stud in the manifold

so manifold has to come off aswell, same issue with half the bolts on that aswell, seized and have to hammer sockets on etc etc, cue lots of swearing and cups of tea and the loss of my 13mm socket, buggered if i know where that ended up

finally get the bugger off

and call up the lad in chessie again, he has to strip mani of the willy he's breaking and ferry it down to cromford for me, top bloke!

the work area as i was waiting

so a 4 bolt ten minute downpipe swap turned into an all day **** about leaving me thoroughly pissed off and tired! however least i didnt have to pay a garage in the end and now its all runnin fine again fingers crossed! just why is it never simple with these cars?

Coops

Forum User
    jesus! no wonder it was bloein lmao

Forum User
    blowin*

Top bombing coops :D

and to think you was doing all that while I was tucked up in a nice warm bed all day

weld it back up......spare. ;)

You know the extra curve at the bottom of the pipe is that a shield to stop it from getting damaged or is it the actual side of the downpipe?

Which bit do you mean mate? The heatshield or the bend near the lambda?

Coops, seems the story of our lives dude. Those bastard bolts took me ages to get off on the valver, and two threaded on the way out of the head, and I had to get the head machined and rethreaded.

Just to make you happy, I scratched one of my gold alloys doing my suspension and brakes today, the bulbs behind the dash blew, plus the AVO drivers side strut I have been really excited about fitting for weeks decided to go weird on me and the moment I touched the adjuster, it snapped off.

Handles great though!

well if your saying theres a heatsield on that picture then you've answered my question :D