Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tv's

Tv's

I want a 37" TV to go in our living room to play the xbox on.

Want a good deal but have no idea what to look for/at.

Any help appreciated.

Bangkok would be your best bet, though I think 37" is a bit greedy if you ask me...
    Can you comfortably take that sort of length?

samsung if your going to have it though an amp

sony if you dont have an amp.

just check out some review magazines. just look out for 1080p.

37" is spot on. dont be fooled into thinking more is better.

Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by stan
    Bangkok would be your best bet, though I think 37" is a bit greedy if you ask me...
    Can you comfortably take that sort of length?

Ive just got a panasonic 37" plasma from sainsburys..... £549 iirc

Quote Originally Posted by fasterthanjesus
    samsung if your going to have it though an amp

sony if you dont have an amp.

just check out some review magazines. just look out for 1080p.

37" is spot on. dont be fooled into thinking more is better.

Well I have to disagree with all of that!

Samsung are SHIT, The problem with samsung is thats its a panel lottery, some are cracking tvs, lots are shitters and its pure luck if you get a good one, look at all the cheap deals in the papers, notice how many are samsungs? Two of my friends bought the same cheap samsung, same model, similar serial numbers and one has been fine the other is shockingly poor picture.

My advice is ask yourself are you just purely gaming or watching tv, blu-rays? if primary source is gaming stick to lcd's plasmas and gaming are hit and miss.. Right now Sony is your brand for lcd's, Panasonic do fecking awesome plasmas...

37" is the border of 720p vs 1080p visual difference - tests prove that viweing distances at this size dictates if you can see the differences in picture..

First check how far back you intend to sit and viewing angles, lcds struggle with certain viewing angles, you may find head on it looks great side on looks washed out.

Right now the only blu-rays, hd-dvds can utilise 1080p so make sure if you like swapping tvs often if you will use it to its potential or if 'just' 720p is more than enough for your current needs.

Word of warning I went out 2 months ago for a 37" and came home with a 40", after watching them side by side in the shop the 40" just looks 'right' compared to the 37!

I view mine head on 9ft away - pretty much perfect setup for this size.. if you were further back than me with a 37" you visually cannot tell the difference between 720p and 1080p - many fall into this trap!

And to finish don't forget tearing on screen ususally cleaned up by 100hz technology - some companys are much better at utilising this than others, gamings ok but if your watching the footy it can be hugely infuriating!

What's the current pricing "sweet spot" in terms of screen sizes? ie: getting a bigger size screen that don't cost much more than a smaller one. It's about 42 to 46 inch here, so I would guess that 37 inch prices should be close to 42 inches for you guys. Also, some of the cheapo unknown brands aren't that bad as they are made in the same factories as the better known ones. Just make sure you have decent local service & support, if they break.

Forum User
    there is no need to get 1080p unless you've got a screen size of 40 inches or above...

I've got a Sony 40 inch with 1080p and 24frames/second true cinema but I watch a lot of movies...

If you use it for games, you want a high contrast ratio too....

At the end of the day, you pays your money and takes your choice... but wait until the sales in January...

Thanks for the response but I never read it before I bought one anyway!

I bought a 40" Sony, 1080p TV with a contrast ratio of 20,000:1. I got it from sainsburys for £587.

I did want 37" but this was so cheap with all the stuff I wanted I got it anyway.

Looks MASSIVE compared to my old 32" TV.