Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Get a multimeter and do a check on the ISCV power pins.

When you say close the hole 2/3rds and it runs fine, by 'fine' do you mean at a sensible idle?

Check the wirig there, it can get bashed about a bit and wires may be broken/damaged.

Forum User

by any chance deos the up and down only occur after you have driven up the road and then let it idle.........think you might be looking at a burnt out circuit board in the ecu if the signals arent right........if you take the cover off the ecu you will either be able to see black burn marks, deterioration in general or a bad burny smell check this out i think it could be the problem

oh lads things just got worse, where is the ecu located. I took out a box behind the fuse board which turned out to be the alarm box. i disconnected it and hooked it back up when i realsed it was the alarm box and now the car wont start at all. the alarm is just clicking and the indicators are flashing, the alarm isnt arming or disarming, the red light is just flashing on the dash. any ideas

Forum User

your alarm is more than likely wired into your fuel relay you should have a little key maybe with the fob for recodeing it..........the idle problem is definitly the ecu ...ive got 2 and the second one i have deos what your car is doing if its plugged in and when i plug the other one in its fine

fixed the alarm problem, there was a wire out of the top of it. the car is starting again thank god. I checked my ECU baz and your dead right there is a fried bit in it. where would i get a new ecu. is there an aftermarked one i can buy.

Forum User

i got one off ebay and just hoped it would be in good condition and it was like new.......theres people on here breaking cars in the breaking section so they should have one.....or put a new thread in the wanted section......that should solve it

try and pm winston and the like on here, they tend to have ecus hanging around and they go for a good reasonable price...

glad you found the issue........ also good you found the alarm stuff under the dash, as you'll be removing it soon when it all goes tits up haha..good old cobra

thanks for help lads i was really stuck, this site is brilliant. The alarm is clifford whats that one like. will it give trouble

Forum User

1 of the best....ive got a clifford and no trouble atal

cliffords aren't bad, overpriced for what they are and there are definitely better ones out there... however they are no where near as bad as the original Cobra alarm fitted! haha... so you'll be fine ;)