Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Well the bloke Iv spoken to sounds genuine and is trying to help me out, hes sending the gearbox to Renault for them to inspect it and if they can supply the parts of the engine and the gearbox then he will put it all together free of charge. Im a bit of a rookie when it comes to the ins and outs of an engine but he reckons its why my last engine went bang. Hes adamant its a fault of the box so I guess Iv just got to let him and Renault sort it out..

THE LATEST!!

Renault dont want anything to do with it as the gearbox is out of warranty. The cars in bits at the garage and luckily a williams is being broken around the corner so as long as I can pay for the parts hes going to fix the box and the engine free of charge, Iv just got to supply the new block and a few bits and pieces. Think Iv had my pants pulled down and raped!! But I seem to have no other option!! Last chance saloon for this car I think.

Mate i hate it when somthing like this happens to ppl, feel for you.
    Iv had my pamts pulled down the once from a bloke that iv known for years on my 2.0 DTI Astra. Robbing fooks, dont trust any garage now

Sounds to me like someone might have neglected to do up some bolts in the transmission, i.e. Clutch, Flywheel etc,
    Ive seen a 182 engine blow up because he missed a gear or something chasing me and blew his clutch to smithereens! ripped the box away from the engine and thus causing the gearbox bellhousing bolts to pull a fair chunk of engine casing away with it, a right mess!

Yeah I was starting to think that might be the case it had the clutch changed about a week before it went bang and finding 1st gear after that was quite difficult, problem is there is no way of proving that now so just got to bite the bullet!!
    On this subject, as I'm getting some parts of a williams would it be worth swapping my manifold for one off the williams or will it not make much difference?

You mean exhaust manifold? For a valver I wouldnt bother, the valver mani helps develop more low down torque for the 1.8 engine. Willy one would give less low down pick up.

if your swapping the lump for the willy lump I'd swap the mani over too..

ive ran both manifolds on my hybrid defo get the willy manifold. i dodnt notice any loss in torque but noticed it pulled better in the revs.

Yeah the exhaust manifold, keeping the 1.8 engine just using some parts off the williams, the block. So you reckon put the willy manifold on as well then?

Thought the williams & valver blocks are different

unless I've read this thread wrong