Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

is one trying to take the p1ss!?

Forum User
    As long as the spring rate and damping rate remaing the same - it should not be any worse at a lower ride height (unless at its extremes of travel where obviously the system is restricted).

For a simple example of the rear of a clio:

Case 1 (OEM): Spring Rate X, damping rate Y - Travel of system 100mm to 20mm.
    Case 2 (Lowered): Spring Rate X, damping rate Y - Travel of system 50mm to 20mm.

Case 1 still accounts for the cases in Case 2
    Case 2 simply has less travel available than Case 1...

If the Spring rate and the damping rate (damping rate I believe to be linear and not 'progressive' for the rear of a clio) does not change the 'matching' of (or coherent nature) of the suspension system should not change.

Forum User
    Example of above....from a top manufacturer.
    H&R Coilovers who utilise Bilstein dampers - Only height adjustable.

Suspension system properties remain constant despite changes in height (relatively)

Quote Originally Posted by eternalife
    As long as the spring rate and damping rate remaing the same - it should not be any worse at a lower ride height (unless at its extremes of travel where obviously the system is restricted).

For a simple example of the rear of a clio:

Case 1 (OEM): Spring Rate X, damping rate Y - Travel of system 100mm to 20mm.
    Case 2 (Lowered): Spring Rate X, damping rate Y - Travel of system 50mm to 20mm.

Case 1 still accounts for the cases in Case 2
    Case 2 simply has less travel available than Case 1...

If the Spring rate and the damping rate (damping rate I believe to be linear and not 'progressive' for the rear of a clio) does not change the 'matching' of (or coherent nature) of the suspension system should not change.
    I'm with your logic on this one

My front suspension seems fine, if a bit harsher. Its the rears that bounces all over the place and sit on their bumpstops.

I am going to fit the old ones tomorrow, rain or shine, at the same height and see what happens, if they too sit on their bumpstops then it is too low, but tbh it does not look it! I have seen much lower cars.

Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobba
    My front suspension seems fine, if a bit harsher. Its the rears that bounces all over the place and sit on their bumpstops.

I am going to fit the old ones tomorrow, rain or shine, at the same height and see what happens, if they too sit on their bumpstops then it is too low, but tbh it does not look it! I have seen much lower cars.
    Bouncing up and down is a sign of a failed shock and a resultant of 'spring' only in operation.
    i.e. lack of damping.

* Uncle Schakal * knitted by nanas since 1995 , now available with added GSOH
    Quote Originally Posted by eternalife
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobba

Bouncing up and down is a sign of a failed shock and a resultant of 'spring' only in operation.
    i.e. lack of damping.
    exactly ,which is what i allready covered at the very
    beginning of this thread . some people just dont read

Quote Originally Posted by schakal

its simple to find out if they are fooked or not .
    do they keep bouncing when you press one of the rear sides
    or does it settle back to position ??

One ****ed shock absorber, both the same. I compressed this one easily by hand to the bumpstop, and as you can see, its not pushed back into shape:

It is not fun having only today to replace these in the pouring freezing rain and one of my wheel lock bolts breaking as well...