Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tyre: Toyo R1R
    Size: 195/50/15
    Car Fitted To: Renault Williams Clio Ph1 no.217
    Suspension Setup: AVO coilovers, lowered, polybushed, AST adjustable top mounts, R19 wishbones, camber correction bolts for increased negative camber. Tested on both 250 and 350lb 2.25" springs
    Total Tyre Mileage: Over 10k plus trackday

Pro's:

Amazing grip. No. I mean it, VERY grippy.

Better alternative to R888 for daily road use.

Much better wear rate than I expected. They have just now gone over the legal limit on tread and I fitted them a year ago. I've used them on the car a lot, with jut a 2 weeks break when it snowed and I used my other wheels. I did a trackday at Anglesey on them, they were great, not much marbling especially compared to the F1's which marbled badly.

I would say if you like having fun with tail out action etc, dont buy these as to get them slipping you need to be driving very hard on a normal road setting.

They look great. The flat sidewalls give the car a nice profile.

Cons:

They don't inspire in the wet. They do aquaplane more readily than normal tyres.

They can be expensive, though Camskill sometimes do special deals on them.

I felt as if they had too soft sidewalls for my liking, BUT that could be because my AVO's were leaking and giving me a false impression. When I fit my next tyres (AD08's, which have stiff sidewalls) I can comment further on the sidewall stiffness.

Straight line stability is not the best, but again, that may be due to my toe settings and other settings.

Overall:

Excellent tyre for fast road and occasional track day sessions. Not ideal for very wet weather. They look great and perform very well, and wear surprisingly well. Highly recommended.

Tyre: Yokohama AD08 Advans
    Car Fitted To: Williams 1
    Suspension Setup: Brand new KW V2 coilovers with AST adjustable top mounts.
    Total Tyre Mileage: 300miles(?)

Opinion:

A track day biased tyre, these are at the moment slightly more expensive than the R1R's I previously ran.

With a new suspension set up, it is hard to compare them straight to the R1R's, but I think I can now safely say they do not give as good overall grip in the dry as my previous Toyo's. What you do get though, is better stability and a more comfortable ride. The other benefit is the wet weather grip, it gives better grip than the R1R tyre, which are not too good in the rain.

The Yoko's have what feels like quite a soft tyre wall, which gives nice feedback, but unfortunately does not sit well with me when pushing hard in bends. I have compensated for this by increasing the tyre pressure to get rid of the rolly-polly effect despite max hardness setting on the dampers (which is too hard for normal crap UK road use imo with the KW's)

The R1R's had a nice look to them, the Yoko's however, they seem to be a bit too soft looking with their rounded edge, and a seemingly higher tyre wall despite being the same size as the R1R's. I had to raise the suspension a lot after fitting them as they ripped chunks out of the front bumper. They also seem to make the rear of the car higher. If I didn't know better, I'd say they are actually 195/55's (not 50's). I don't like the rear looking higher.

They wheelspin a little when I drop the hammer down, which the R1R's didn't do even when below legal tread limit. They squeal more than the R1R's on fast bends. In fact I only ever got the Toyo's to squeal once on the road.

So, overall, they are a good normal use tyre, with probably more grip than a standard road tyre. They give nice feedback and I guess they are a nice compromise for road and fast road styles of driving. Also, it's good to be able to play with the car more when you have less grip. The fact they retain a much nicer wet weather performance is reassuring as well. But for me, they don't quite feel right in the dry no matter what I try. I've had them wash wide in massive understeer twice now when hard on the power, which is not what I want. I won't be buying another set.

Forum User
    Tyre: Michelin Pilot Exalto 2
    Car Fitted To: 95' Williams 2
    Suspension Setup: Standard
    Total Tyre Mileage: 500 miles so far

Opinion: Outstanding grip in the dry and excellent precision in the wet. These tyres are extremely grippy but will allow some slip if you fancy, wet performance is the best i have experienced, very hard to tell the difference between wet and dry grip. aquaplanning is non existant so far. They are quite expensive but you get what you pay for and they are based on WRC technology. Turn in has improved 2 fold over the toyo proxy 4's that came off, which has took some getting used to!

Overall a great good looking tyre which is also extremely quite and has improved the everyday ride no end.

Michelin state a 20-30k tyre life on these tyres, if they do half that il be happy.