Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    J o n

GDI powered ITB'd 172

Well, I picked my car up from GDI on Friday evening after having their ITB kit fitted. The kit is the off the shelf one, nothing else added, so this included:

Jenvey throttle bodies and 90mm trumpets
    Jenvery inlet manifold
    Omex 600
    Omex/GDI plug and play loom
    Omex/GDI coilpack bracket
    OMEX/GDI mounting brackets
    OMEX/GDI crank sensor

Existing mods were:

GDI cat back exhaust (2.5")
    Janspeed silenced decat (2.5")

It was all fitted and mapped by Andy @ GDI and I'm over the moon with it

Performance is literally uncomparable to a standard/breathed on/cam'd Clio. The power and throttle response are instant and the torque is mental. At 3'800rpm peak torque is created and it holds a totally flat line until over 6k, which on the road basically makes it an absolute animal.

It gets better though, average MPG is up around 3-5mpg (depending on my right foot), it's somehow quieter (less boom on ITB's than single body) and it drives beautifully. No judder, no jerkiness, no flat spots... literally perfect. My other half had a drive of it and couldn't believe the response and smoothness, her words were that it drives much nicer and smoother with better idle and cold start than her old Ph1 (standard car) and her newer Ph2 172 (also standard). So she's booking in for the kit now... lol - only problem now is I'll have to spend more money on mods, not having the missus driving a quicker Clio, I'd never hear the bloody end of it.

All in all thumbs up once again, great work and they even stayed until 11pm due to my busy schedule and distance I need to travel to get there (it's a 3+ hour trip from Manchester, but WELL worth it!!!). Car was even cleaned thoroughly (as I never bother) and once again came up stunning, so I've been threatened to keep it clean else I'll be having my head kicked in! lol

Can highly recommend this conversion, it goes straight onto a standard car, you dont lose your aircon and it's more economical, MUCH more powerful, sounds the cats tits and cheap as hell to do. Rods and pistons next month... then just need to pick a cam profile for silly power :D

Forum User
    total cost?

have to wait till nearly 4k for peak torque? thought wud be much lower down on a n/a

J o n
    Total cost was less for me, I already had an Omex and some other bits required, but it's £2380+vat for the whole kit pre mapped for an F4. That's a DIY plug and play fitment where you literally just bolt it all up yourself and it's ready to go. Price for the Williams is a few hundred quid less iirc.

Coops, please show me another Clio creating maximum torque at 3800rpm lol. The Williams creates 85% of it's max torque at 2500rpm... then it drops off significantly before picking back up again. Mine is making more torque than a Williams maximum amount of torque before 4k and holding it pretty much to the rev limit. The torque is enough to spin the wheels at under 2000rpm anyway.

Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Coops
    have to wait till nearly 4k for peak torque? thought wud be much lower down on a n/a
    Thats where they come on cam though mate.

You obviously done remember NA days

Forum User
    Not really, the F4R as standard makes available masses of its maximum torque from a low rpm.

From memory the quoted figure was 85% of all available torque available from 2000rpm onwards. The maximum / peak torque was experienced at approximately 5500rpm.

Therefore, by looking solely at the peak torque (which is actually now 1500rpm lower than before!) does not give quite the total picture.

Even more so when comparing against turbo's which traditionaly 'spike'.

J o n
    Quote Originally Posted by eternalife
    Not really, the F4R as standard makes available masses of its maximum torque from a low rpm.

From memory the quoted figure was 85% of all available torque available from 2000rpm onwards. The maximum / peak torque was experienced at approximately 5500rpm.

Therefore, by looking solely at the peak torque (which is actually now 1500rpm lower than before!) does not give quite the total picture.

exactly, people forget that after that initial pull it drops off significantly lol

Quote Originally Posted by TheJesus

exactly, people forget that after that initial pull it drops off significantly lol
    That (big torque spikes) only applies to old skool turbo cars or poorly tuned / mapped ones. Modern turbo cars produce a flat curve, great examples are:-

New Golf GTI, Focus ST and all Diesels etc

But yes tuned turbo cars generally peak earlier and reduce steadily and tuned N/A cars usually peak lower and gradually increase.

Quote Originally Posted by Evogone
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJesus

That (big torque spikes) only applies to old skool turbo cars or poorly tuned / mapped ones. Modern turbo cars produce a flat curve, great examples are:-

New Golf GTI, Focus ST and all Diesels etc

But yes tuned turbo cars generally peak earlier and reduce steadily and tuned N/A cars usually peak lower and gradually increase.
    No edit button..!!

But yes tuned turbo cars generally peak earlier and reduce steadily and tuned N/A cars usually peak higher with a gradual increase across the range.

TB kit sound great, has no one had it done on a Williams to see what the results are ? May just get the OMEX first.

J o n
    mine did as you described before on std inlet Evogone. Now it's just a totally flat line from 3800rpm, which I'm still trying to get used to again, it's almost caught me out coming off a round about going into work early this morning lol