Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

throttle bodies or turbo???

right i wanna gain some more power out of my valver but debatin on which 1 to have, the more opinions the better!!
    basically i already have:
    stage 2 chip
    piper fast road cams
    vernier pulleys
    port, polished head
    and the usual straight through exhaust, decat air filter ect
    they were all done at hillpower!!!

which would be the better of the 2 for my car and what would the difference in price and power be???
    Cheers all

Forum User
    Depends on how you want to use the car i supose. I opted for T/B's because the power delivery is very managable and instant. Imagine going around a corner, on the verge of grip, then all of a sudden your turbo comes on boost. Or launching for example, a big hit of boost, or progressive power?
    Big power and torque for the strip, no doubt turbo all the way, but for a drivers car, where handling is an issue, T/B IMO.
    Also, the stresses on the 'box, clutch driveshafts etc etc are ten fold with a turbo because of its hard hitting power nature.

i c, how much did your throttle bodies cost clean and where did you get em from, if i had em done ill go to hillpower (no offence to any other company im sure your all good 2) coz nick did a great job on my other mods!!!
    im not really a twisty sorta person, i much prefer straight line, off the lights type of stuff so ur probably sayin a turbo would be better for that???
    ive seen a vid of your clean n thats some awsome machine, im lovin it

Forum User
    I got mine done at AngelWorks Technology, through BenR.
    It depends as i said, the stresses on the already weak 'box are tenfold on turbo application, and i'd much rather launch an N/A car then a turbo one, throttle response is instant and power is progressive.
    I'm gonna give a biased opinion though as i hate turbo motors, only good for big torque, no top end power, ver unpredictable, lazy throttle response etc etc

I'd go for T/B's mate, still gonna make it shift like a bastard down the strip, around a track it'll be nice to know the boost won't throw you into a tirewall, plus its going to be more reliable (in my humble limited-experience opinion)...

I'm guessing putting a turbo onto a 16v lump will cost a lot more than TB's anyway, althou once it IS turbo'd you'd get more bhp for your quids.....

Ignore that last comment, get her throttle bodied!!! Then you might be able to get away from me

TB's all the way for reliability issues as well cos IMO if a car aint turbo'd from the factory obviously it aint gonna like it afterwards! as a much used car it will be in bits all the time replacing parts before they break etc more regularly imo so i would go for TB's

personally id go for a 2.0 first, then take it from there. starting off with 2.0 power is a bit of a shortcut to higher power/torque, and can always be improved on at a later date.

but imo both routes are expensive for the gains.........i.e bang for buck.....is it worth it??

rich has hit the nail on the head, reliablility is definatly an issue!!!
    i do love turbos, the dump valve and the turbo winding up, sounds awsome!!!
    but then ive also heard that throttle bodies sound awsome 2!!!
    and a 2.0l has also crossed my mind, i think at the minute mines runnin 120bhp at the wheels, not sure what that is at the flywheel, its ok but i have got used to it now and want something really quick again!

And steve we will definatly have that race as soon as i gain more power lol

For More information on the Turbo conversion from us, PM me. Or failing that, pop down and see us and have a look at our turbo valver and judge for yourself.

Dave BBT

imo 120bhp is around 140 145 at the fly mate.