Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Door hinge pins - renewal?

Once again, more problems with taking the clio apart!

After MAJOR trouble taking the drivers side door out, i.e. the pins snapped, and the remainder would not budge with a pin punch, i obviously am gonna need new door pins.

Now assuming renault supply these no problems, i still think i'm gonna have a bit of play in the door, due to age related wear on the hinges on the door. After having a close look at the hinges welded to the car, it appears that they have a metal sleeve fitted to them, is this correct? If so, is it possible you can remove the sleeves and replace with new ones from renault?

I really want to get rid of the age related play in the doors, but i am definitely not welding new hinges on, as this is a nightmare of a job.

Cheers again,

Al

Forum User
    You can get the pins and the bushes you mention,still are available,and not to dear,the problem is getting the old hinge pin out

As rod said I've got some sat here waiting to go on my replacement doors - if I ever finish this car and make it actually mobile enough to go visit to a certain someone! I'd be able to tell you if new pins stop the sagging!

last time my door pins went. i welded a nut on top..

How do you get the bushes out Rod? Drill them out?

Have a job first to drill the snapped pins out which is gonna be fun!

Do you reckon just new hinge pins would do it? Or would it be wise to get these outer sleeves changed too?

Any use?

Hmmmm..... looks like just new pins won't solve the problem after looking at that

Also, just got back from Winston's place after picking new tailgate up, and my dad had drilled the pins out. Problem is, the top hinge sleeve is looking a bit buggered 'coz of how awkward they were to drill out. So, as long as it's possible, some new sleeves as well as pins look the way to go.

So the question i need the answer to is - do you drill these bushes out? If anyone's done it, what size drill bit did they use, i.e. so not to damage the hinge below???

Damn french cars!

Hello mate,
    I drilled out both the pin and the sleeve. As you have found out getting a drill in their is tricky and at a slight angle.
    With new sleeves and pins the new door is perfect, even with a slight elipse shape for a hole on the door bracket/hinge. I was going to back fill the sleeves with liquid metal filler form the DIY shop, but all seemed and still seems okay.
    My origional door had to be scrapped due to the thread being knackered.

Good luck, Lee.

Forum User
    A really easy way,but it needs a lot of care

It is rather drastic,but it does work :~ I had a good man with a "gas~axe" take mine out,you need a very thick old bath towel or water trapping cloth,hold it on the paint work around the door edge,GENTLY HEAT around the hinge/pin once warm/hot use your Torx/allen key and wind them out ~~ Presto
    When the pin came out,The bushes were still ok,checked the size with a bore micrometer,and had very little wear in them,Insert the new pins ~~ door hangs perfect.

If you do it this way ~~~ PLEASE PLEASE BE CAREFUL ~~ IT PUT THE S**TS UP ME, to see the flames etc around the paint work,The guy who did it,has been around body repairs all his working life ~~ 35 years

Quote Originally Posted by cliorod
    A really easy way,but it needs a lot of care

It is rather drastic,but it does work :~ I had a good man with a "gas~axe" take mine out,you need a very thick old bath towel or water trapping cloth,hold it on the paint work around the door edge,GENTLY HEAT around the hinge/pin once warm/hot use your Torx/allen key and wind them out ~~ Presto
    When the pin came out,The bushes were still ok,checked the size with a bore micrometer,and had very little wear in them,Insert the new pins ~~ door hangs perfect.

If you do it this way ~~~ PLEASE PLEASE BE CAREFUL ~~ IT PUT THE S**TS UP ME, to see the flames etc around the paint work,The guy who did it,has been around body repairs all his working life ~~ 35 years
    Suddenly I fancy staying in tomorrow