Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by King Stromba
    All this talk about Williams / valvers being quicker than cupras on the twisty road is IMO misleading. Im of no doubt that a very good driver would be able to get the Williams round a very twisty roads quicker than a cupra. Its just more nimble at the end of the day. But in reality an average driver, which lets face it most of us are, would not notice any great handling difference and be just as quick in either car, in fact in most sporty cars.

Im not going to get into a debate about who is an who isnt a good driver, suffice to say, most people wouldnt be much quicker in one car over another.

In fact most sporty cars on the road today in Mr averages hands would be just as quick as the 100 other cars in the same performance bracket.
    I disagree fella....I think it takes at least a month to get comfortable in the handling of a new car so I would deffo be quicker in my car then any equivalent hot hatch. I would back any williams owner/driver to be quicker than a cupra on a tight twisty road or track too. 400 kgs less to persuade round tight corners is a a lot.....on faster, sweeping corners the differences would be less noticeable obviously.

Banned
    Just as someone used to driving a cupra would be quicker in the cupra.

Forum User
    It all so comes down to how much you actually care about your car too, i throw my Williams around knowing full well that if i stack it into another car or roll it into the ditch, im losing £2k at the most (assuming i remain intact!)........ im certainly much more reserved when im driving a £15k car though!!

There are loads of factors effecting what/who would be quicker down some twisty road.

Driver skill
    Road Knowledge
    Experience, partly of the car, but mainly of the road
    Machinery
    And the biggest factor of all - Gonad size / Stupidity / Bravery

You can't make a comparison between two cars on the road, around corners particularly, if you don't know the ability (and all of the above factors) of the drivers in the cars.

Simply saying, "I had this CTR/182/Impreza down a country road, so therefore my Williams/Valver/whatever is much better around the corners" is stupid, because it doesn't prove anything. It could have been an old lady driving her sons car down a road she's never been down. If you're a driving genius, you'll be able to thrash her in a Fiat Panda!

....IMO

I think the car does play a large part in how fast you can go round bends. I have so much confidence in my car and have thrown it in2 bends at some stupid speeds cos I have total confidence in the car's handling abilities, something I wouldn't have done in previous cars. Personally I think mr average driving the clio would convincingly beat mr average in the LCR on a twisty B-road.

I wouldn't like to say.

On the one hand, the Williams is the lighter, more nimble, more agile car. On the other hand, it's more nervous at the limit and more likely to swing its tail out if you get it wrong. It's a very raw car and can intimidate some.

The Leon, on the other hand, although more heavy, has a very understeery attitude, is more stable and solid, and has more driver aids such as TC and ABS. It'll make Mr Average more confident, therefore he'll push more.

You'd hope the Williams weight advantage and dynamic ability would 'outweigh' (boom boom ) that though...

do we have a LCR with us on the trackday gaz ?

Banned
    What im saying is, take Mr average A and Mr average B. Give them 100 sports cars to play with and tell them to go lap a track in all of them. Lap times for all cars would be very similar.

When i did a ferrari day last year they took me for a passanger ride(flying lap) with qualified racing driver/instructor in a seat leon cupra and it was pretty stable at speed. This guy was taking some real tight bends at 100+mph and it stuck well. I would not feel too confident jucking the valver into bends like that due to it being a tad tail happy at those speeds. Smaller tighter bends is where the valver/willys are better. Lets say 50/80mph bends tops. Thats where a cupra would struggle, just like my mates golf turbo. It dont do tight bends and you can really feel the weight.

Forum User
    Finally we get a sensible discussion without the need for my cocks bigger than yours

Take a standard LCR and a standard williams around say bedford autodrome with the same professional driver and i doubt they'd be a lot in it tbh. Where the williams gains in the corners the LCR will gain on the straights.