Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

williams 3 steering problems

hi all im new to the site need some help.i have a williams 3 and recently the steering hasnt felt to solid like the road is telling it where to go no me.also when on the motorway with the steering whell str8 the car likes to drift to the left.i have have heard about column problems but think this is fine as if i move the wheel slightly the wheels turn as well.ive had the tracking looked at they guy said the wheels were all lined up but the toein /toe out settings were wrong would this cause my problem? im sure its not bent chassis either as it was fine a few months ago. sorry for the long post but really need the problem sorted so i can get my handling back as good as it was ......thanks

Toe in, Toe out wrong means trackings out.

(Taxi on standby)

i thought that this was only if the wheels wernt str8 but would this cause my car drifting to the left?and vague steering feel?has any1 got the proper settings for the williams i assume they r different to everyother clio and wanna make sure they set it up right cos im gunna get it done..

From the report of my last 4-wheel alignment - according the wheel alignment machine's database - the Clio Williams front toe setting range (per wheel) is:-

0degree 05minutes to 0degree 15minute

Banned
    In order i would do this:

Check all tyres for odd wear. Replace if worn
    Check tyre pressures
    Get alighnment done (alighnment with cause all sorts of pulls over the road if it is out)

If still a problem, get a mechanic to check the rack and the column. Then get a second and third opinion. Take the concensus of opinion to be true.

id probly check column first .sounds like the uj at the bottom is on its way....spot of weld will sort it

Banned
    Nahh if the wheels move as he turns the wheels it will be the tracking. Ijust had mine done to cure massive tramlining.

Forum User
    nows the time for manual conversion old boy...

what is tramlining?

Banned
    As an example, youre driving along a road, you go to pull out from behind another car to overtake and as your os wheels go over the white lines the camber of the road pulls the car and it lurches quickly right.

Its basically the effect of the tyres following the contours of the road giving a feeling of the car being on 'tram lines' and the effect is that you constantly have to correct the steering.

Tracking problems are one cause. Different tyres also tram line more than others. Generally 195 50 15's will tramline more than 185 55 15's as they are wider. Make of tyre can effect it too.

Small fast front wheel drive cars will probably feel the effect of tramlining problems more than heavy rear wheel drive cars.