Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by 16v_paddy
    clear as mud that made my head hurt just reading it
    probably best if it got deleted TBH, delerious ramblings of an ill man that's slept all day and decided to look at hexidecimal tables at 2am

The ecu's use 256kbit chips (8x32kbit), which equals 32kbytes, hence the bin files being 32kbytes in file size.

However the map/program data is actually only stored in the top half (as you mentioned being stacked). They probably avoided using the smaller 128k chips because they were almost end of life when renault/siemens put the ecu together.

So if you've a 16kbyte map file then you simply need to stack it at memory location 4000 hex.

This also means you can have multiple maps per chip. So on a 256 chip you can store 2 maps, although the ECU will only EVER see the data starting at 4000 hex because thats where it looks.

Similar you could use 512k chips or larger.

There are some pretty decent "flashable" 512k chips available, although they seem to be drying up now. but they are pretty handy if you need to test a few things and don't have access to an emulator.

SST do one... SST27SF512 or SST27SF256. Buggered if I can find any in stock anywhere though.

Those definition files have been on tunerpro website for quite some time btw

Speaking of having to maps on one chip, I was reading a site recently showing how you can swap between two maps at the flick of a switch. Sweet I'll put a link to it if I find it again.

Hey Dan:
    Have you ripped a bin from any genuine Williams eprom? If so, I don't suppose you could email it to me could ya? :D

Quote Originally Posted by kj16v
    Speaking of having to maps on one chip, I was reading a site recently showing how you can swap between two maps at the flick of a switch. Sweet I'll put a link to it if I find it again.

Hey Dan:
    Have you ripped a bin from any genuine Williams eprom? If so, I don't suppose you could email it to me could ya? :D
    Why dont you just download the one from the tunerpro website? definition file is also there, altho the def is the same as the 91onwards clio 16v 1.8 (cat/lamba sensor).

I already have both the bin and xdf from the site, but I always like to use original bins taken from a known chip where possible. That way I know its a good'n, and the exact model/ecu, etc.

pm your email addy i'll send you over my bin later tonight that i extracted from my standard williams map.

PM'd. Cheers mate

nice topic.

good luck guys.

Hi,

what sort of hardware is needed to program the ECU's 'chip'? As far as I can tell, this is just an EEPROM? Does anyone have a part number for the EEPROM that's used in a clio16v/williams?
    Is the basic idea that the EEPROM just holds a lookup table of values, for specific engine conditions?