Forum User

Low power output!

After i put my bike carb conversion on and had it on the rollers it made 165bhp which is shit after sum investigation and back to the ol drawing board i thought ill do a compression test -basically i found the problem i compared them to my valver which had 180psi on each cylinder the williams made 110psi on 3cyl and 90psi on the other!so ive now got a nice project!so hopefuly after a rebuild i should see a power increase!!!

Glad you have an avenue to pursue. Sure you can get some decent power out of carbs once you have it all sorted

nice one mate, get it fixed, i wanna see what it realy makes!

Forum User

Re: Low power output!

Quote Originally Posted by 105epwr
    After i put my bike carb conversion on and had it on the rollers it made 165bhp which is s**t after sum investigation and back to the ol drawing board i thought ill do a compression test -basically i found the problem i compared them to my valver which had 180psi on each cylinder the williams made 110psi on 3cyl and 90psi on the other!so ive now got a nice project!so hopefuly after a rebuild i should see a power increase!!!
    are you sure this isn't due to some inlet restriction due to the carbs before stripping...try a cylinder leakage test too...

it seems a bit strange that there consistantly low maybe like maxiboy says its to do with the carbs

Forum User
    I think i might do a cylinder leakage check aswell yes BUT the car also unlike my valver it has a slight mist coming through the breather pipe as ive got the cam cover breather pipes going through them little filters my valvers done 104k and that dont breath atall-so i think its worn,valves not seating or broken piston rings-i have a ford anglia with a stage 3 1700 x-flow i cracked the piston rings on that and it did the same things!
    i want to take the head of it anyway so i can port it and skin it 40tho to up the c/r slightly.
    cheers for the replys

as per the pm, you need to do it with the throttles open.
    The std engine will show higher cranking figures as it has a plenum full of air to compress, whilst the carbed engine has little air behind the throttles!

they all tend to breath a bit.

Forum User
    i put on a full s/s exhaust as before i had the side exit-must admit didnt notice ANY difference in performance apart from it so nice and quite now.
    i also plugged back in the loom the only thing unplugged are the injectors as i thought the ecu may of gone in to default or limp home mode,i put the snap on scanner to see what codes i have and it only comes up as "injectors open circuit" but still no real performance gained!!??

where do you plug the scanner in? a bit of topice, sorry.

Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by midge
    where do you plug the scanner in? a bit of topice, sorry.
    Drop the fuse box down in passenger side under glove box theres a square type 6pin plug-but you need the renault plug with an OBD lead.