Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

CV Joint Limitations

Right am about to go for my 4th drivers side driveshaft tomorrow

my question is, why does it keep vibrating?

the story goes, i lowered the car after the engine rebuild and changed my driveshafts both sides at the same time (cv boots knackered, so figured better safe than sorry and go for re-furbs from renault) and there was a massive vibration through the car on left turns. i changed wheel bearing that side, no difference, so eventually it was pinned down to shaft

shaft was changed again, was fine i think for ages, but now having fitted my r888 and really pushing it round corners, the vibration is back again, this time its whilst pushing a lot harder, and tight corners only pretty much but its there and its bad when it happens.

now i talked to my dads mechanic this weekend and he thinks it may be because the car is too low, so when the suspension compresses aswell as hubs already being higher than diff, the shafts outer cv joint is at too much of an angle and vibrates. is this possible? how come it hasnt happened to anyone else? mines low but there are lower cars out there so what do you guys think?

also why only this side, i mean i realise that the engine and me are on that side so its got more weight to push down, but still, cornering the other way at any speed is fine, no matter how hard i push, its only left turns where it struggles

i'm really hoping its just another dodgy shaft, but any advice/experience on this would be much appreciated!

sorry for the ramble

cheers

Ben

Forum User
    answered elsewhere mate

i had the exact same problem mate, with my widetrack conversion, 19 16v shafts do not fit, not the passenger side nor the drivers.... they fit but the shafts were slightly too long, causing it to knock badly when cornering,
    Driveshaft doesnt have enough free length i.e when you have the car jacked up and the front suspension is unloaded the driveshaft has more free length when the car is sat normally on the ground the cars suspension is more in line with the gearbox and hub to gearbox distance is shorter if you get what i mean, when driving the suspension gets loaded up more and the driveshaft has even less free length, there shouldnt be any play, in the shaft but if you undo the hub nut with the cars wheels on the ground and push inwards u should have a good amount of free play

Dave

Btw it'll most likely be the inner joint not having enough room inside the coupling when the suspension is loaded up, you sure you have the right shaft??

should be mate, its not wide tracked for a start, so its on original components.

i'll bear this in mind tho mate, thats some useful information, and if this new shaft doesnt cure it i'll check the shaft for play in situ

cheers

Ben

Would have thought that with the hub nut undone there should be about 15mm of free travel on the shaft, I was chasing this for ages when i did my widetrack conversion mate, im pretty positive this is your problem, be careful driving it when it makes the rumble, as theres no slack on your shaft your diff is taking a lot of abuse...

do u want to try some not sol old genuine shafts in ?

the shaft is new refurb from renault mate

Quote Originally Posted by number1
    Would have thought that with the hub nut undone there should be about 15mm of free travel on the shaft, I was chasing this for ages when i did my widetrack conversion mate, im pretty positive this is your problem, be careful driving it when it makes the rumble, as theres no slack on your shaft your diff is taking a lot of abuse...
    so how did you solve the issue? can i space the shaft from the back inside the hub with a washer to shift it over or what? its not like its not the correct shaft, i only have one option for this car, a valver shaft!lol

i fitted williams shafts mate not much help to you... could try shifting the engine over on the mounts, I elongated the balljoints on both sides...
    i tried everything to get my 19 16v shafts to fit and they were just too long, could speak to a friendly engineering shop and get them to shorten your shaft...

one good way of telling if the shaft is too tight is to take the inner joint apart and see if there is any fouling on the coupling from the tripods

Hope this helps

Dave