Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid vs Evo8 MR FQ320

Right, I couldn't care if anyone here believes me or not but i have to tell you about the best race i've had in my clio so far.

In our group one lad called jaz has an Evo8 mr fq320, we were both finally out last night in the cars together and the baiting began, heard the usual french crap remarks and do you want me to push it banter bus crap.

But then jaz and me decided we'd finally race after all the talk and i was so impressed with my car.

Last week i raced a Series 2 Lotus Elise and pushed him aside through 1st 2nd and 3rd so i was unsure how it would go against the evo.

We pulled round a roundabout onto the duelcarriageway at speed, (towards med tunnel, jay s has been through it)

1st and 2nd i pulled 2 Lengths

Then stayed even through 3rd upto 4th, then he started creeping up behind me, but by this time we were through the tunnel and stopped at the other end!!!!

The same thing happened back through the other way except when he was creeping i had a car in front and breaked to let him pass me.

My other friends who were with us knew id pull on him through the low gears, any longer he'd have gone flying ahead but needless to say we was all well impressed with my ickle clio.

Seems the valver manifolds low down power helps against these big cars, in short enough bursts it seems it helps me pull and appear like a win without getting into too high speed figures!

Anyway i thought id share my experience, i know some will sprout bullshit, but those who know me and have met me know i would not bullshit.

Clio Hybrid - 1
    Mitsu Evo8 - 0

Bullshi.... I believe you, I've half witnessed it myself recently with an STI tell you these things without any weight in the back feel far quicker than they should!

Forum User
    whats the engine spec of your car? is it totally stripped out?

Forum User
    its stripped with 170 atf iirc

yeah completely stripped, ran 171bhp@fly with a really bad blowing exhaust at hillpower in feb

Re: Hybrid vs Evo8 MR FQ320

Quote Originally Posted by seanofnp
    Right, I couldn't care if anyone here believes me or not but i have to tell you about the best race i've had in my clio so far.

In our group one lad called jaz has an Evo8 mr fq320, we were both finally out last night in the cars together and the baiting began, heard the usual french crap remarks and do you want me to push it banter bus crap.

But then jaz and me decided we'd finally race after all the talk and i was so impressed with my car.

Last week i raced a Series 2 Lotus Elise and pushed him aside through 1st 2nd and 3rd so i was unsure how it would go against the evo.

We pulled round a roundabout onto the duelcarriageway at speed, (towards med tunnel, jay s has been through it)

1st and 2nd i pulled 2 Lengths

Then stayed even through 3rd upto 4th, then he started creeping up behind me, but by this time we were through the tunnel and stopped at the other end!!!!

The same thing happened back through the other way except when he was creeping i had a car in front and breaked to let him pass me.

My other friends who were with us knew id pull on him through the low gears, any longer he'd have gone flying ahead but needless to say we was all well impressed with my ickle clio.

Seems the valver manifolds low down power helps against these big cars, in short enough bursts it seems it helps me pull and appear like a win without getting into too high speed figures!

Anyway i thought id share my experience, i know some will sprout bulls**t, but those who know me and have met me know i would not bulls**t.

Clio Hybrid - 1
    Mitsu Evo8 - 0

Having had a couple of EVO's and Clios then i can only comment and say the EVO doesnt know what hes doing. If driven properly then the Clio would get anialated particularly from a standing start and from 60 plus.

Same driver in each car the EVO wins on the straight never mind the corners.

Regrads the lotus they are not quick on the straight my old Cup used to out drag my mates Sport 160 every day on the way to work.

J o n
    wouldn't be so sure Evogone, a decent spec engine and a car weighing 750-850kg's will have a roughly similar power to weight at the wheels I reckon. It's not that these clio's are particularly quick, I personally think they would run worse times that a lot of the 1*2's with similar mods if it wasn't for such a severe amount of weight loss, but it makes an absolutely monumental difference to even a mildly tuned engine. Martin's old 2.0 with breathing mods and a superchip ran a 13.8. The engine didn't make super amazing power or anything, it just weighed **** all.

With ITB's on mine but a lot more wieght than 90% of cars on here I'd bet money that from a roll I'd pull from a 320 Evo in every gear... mainly because I already have. 230bhp/ton seems to be enough

Quote Originally Posted by TheJesus
    wouldn't be so sure Evogone, a decent spec engine and a car weighing 750-850kg's will have a roughly similar power to weight at the wheels I reckon. It's not that these clio's are particularly quick, I personally think they would run worse times that a lot of the 1*2's with similar mods if it wasn't for such a severe amount of weight loss, but it makes an absolutely monumental difference to even a mildly tuned engine. Martin's old 2.0 with breathing mods and a superchip ran a 13.8. The engine didn't make super amazing power or anything, it just weighed f**k all.

With ITB's on mine but a lot more wieght than 90% of cars on here I'd bet money that from a roll I'd pull from a 320 Evo in every gear... mainly because I already have. 230bhp/ton seems to be enough
    Alls i know is that my cup racer is as light a most stripped out racers here and has prob a little bit more hp than the one in the post. The Evo's i had (and the MR320) would eat it....with ITB and 200hp then yes maybe a match to 100 with a rolling start. After a ton then the EVO will still beat it.

Just my opinion but with a bit of personal experience in both cars.

J o n
    All I'm saying is I wouldn't discount it, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see the Clio clinging onto it, but yeah, higher speeds the Clio would get eaten alive without ITB's or something for top end power.

From personal experience my mates now 300+bhp Scooby (althought it's literally just over) classic is faster than a new 320 I had a run with, I couldn't pull on the Scooby at all until top of 4th and 5th gear... oddly enough

agreed, the clio's complete lack of weight counts for alot, also dont forget 4wd drivetrains increase the power loss to the wheels, so 320 will drop by a few more % from flywheel and stock weight of upto 1400kg i think, so your lookin at best atw figures of 180bhp/ton with 20% transmission loss

pop that into the clio, 850kg, 170bhp and 16% odd loss and u get 170bhp/ton at the wheels so not a million miles away

:P