Forum User

Snapped wheel bolts?

Anyone else had this happen? I had one snap when undoing a wheel on Saturday. Also 2 snap on the o/s/f today when doing my brakes at lunch. This isnt really a problem as there is enough stud sticking out to unwind. The bolts are the same as new Micra bolts, so i ordered 12 new ones and a set of Mcgard lock nuts for less than the price of 16 genuine Renault bolts. Just wondered if anyone else has had this?

Yes, especially with the bolts that used the sleeved collars. Always hand tighten or use torque wrench on them.

One of mine went when Fred was fitting my new wheels - had to get a hammer and a pointy thing and tap it round till the thread came out lol

Fortunately they'd been loosened sufficiently to not be a problem!!

Forum User
    Yeah, all mine are still the originals with the loose collar. I compared the one i snapped on Saturday to a Micra one, and it looked a bit short. Rang Renault who said they had one. Drove 20 mins only for him to tell me they've modified them, and they are the same as the Micra one i had! Despite the fact i said i had a Micra one to hand. Obviously doesnt realise Nissan are 60% owned by Renault now!

One of mine with rotating collar snapped recently and I always use an impact wrench. Renault now only supply solid bolts at about £3 each.

they are very old, what do you expect !

out of interest how much have you paid, as McGard locking wheel nuts usually retail for £33, we have full sets of wheel bolts & lockers at work for not much more IIRC