Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Catch 22 ???

Catch 22 ???

at the moment its looking like i need a new box

contacted all my sources last night and turned up nothing, nobody has a box for sale !! usually they are everywhere, thought id get one easy

so, its looking like i might have to put a Ren furb'd box in, which is clearly pricey, even at staff rates

if i sold the car as a none runner, i might get £600 for it ???

it could potentially cost me £1k to put right, with a new clutch thrown in aswell while its off (probably £800)

early last year i had the cambelt done with the headgasket, and a few other bits and that was £800 ish IIRC

is it time to cut my losses and get something newer, which id have to get a loan for (gonna have to loan the cash to fix it aswell but obviously this is less than getting another car), or fix this, which i do want to keep on the road, i dont want to break it, or anyone else to lol

im a bit stuck really, could take months to sell as it wont drive, and i need a car to get about and work etc

Getting a newer car with a loan just means you're paying out on depreciation rather than getting things fixed!

I guess it depends how much you value enjoyment of a car - I've driven nothing recently that compared to the feel and feedback of a widetracked valver (although I've not driven a lot, sadly) and I'd be hesitant to lose that just to have a newer, 'more reliable' car that would be costing me money in depreciation instead.

Plus you'd get a whole new set of potential problems that you may not be able to fix by yourself!

Have you thought about getting a cheapy runaround from the auctions for when the williams is having 'issues'? lol An old 1.2 or something?

Forum User
    Keep your eyes open on ebay for a while, loads about on there usually

seen some refurbs for £300 but would rather go 'Ren if im spendin over £250

I should have a used JB3 by the end of the week.

Fix it...£75 for box, £200 for fitting, far off-sets selling as spares/repair.

how used stan ?

what kind of miles and whats it coming out of, condition etc ???

how much for delivery

Condition is used, working etc. Will confirm miles when I collect.

Delivery would be about £30-40.

noisy, notchy etc ???

I wouldnt have thought so....I'll know more towards the end of the week when I collect.

Forum User
    That car had me in the same position many a time...so much money went on it i could cry, even now.

Like you're saying now I sold it...got a 1.2, then various other cars cos newer is better/folks were moaning/its old blah blah blah...

Guess what tho? I miss it...with the exception of that R5 nothing i've driven has made me smile as much or performed as well.

My advice;

- get it fixed
    - use a secondhand box
    - keep it

Its been good to you from what i've read so just look at this as a chance to build some more reliability into it.