Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: JB3-S-24 ???

I would have thought that a longer final drive ratio would have affected all the gears? But I might be wrong.

I'd definitely be interested in finding a more relaxed 5th gear though - cruising at, ahem, 3 figures is a noisy and thirsty affair! lol

Quote Originally Posted by white16valver
    I would have thought that a longer final drive ratio would have affected all the gears? But I might be wrong.

I'd definitely be interested in finding a more relaxed 5th gear though - cruising at, ahem, 3 figures is a noisy and thirsty affair! lol
    Final drive ratio has effect onto all the gears.

my dialogys just wont give me an JB3-048 !

got the part number for it from an old system but its an old number which doesnt work anymore

so if 5th affects all the gears, does that mean my car would be slower??

Quote Originally Posted by BRUN
    so if 5th affects all the gears, does that mean my car would be slower??
    "5th affects all the gears" No! 5th gear doesn't affect all the gears, that's an "independent" gear. If you change it it'll affects only in 5th gear.

The final drive ratio affects all the gears. The final drive ratio is the ratio of the driven shaft. In your case (Renault - FWD car) it is the ratio between the output shaft of the gearbox and the crown wheel (or cog/plate wheel which is the correct name in English?) of the differential. So if it's longer (for example 3.5625 instead of 4.06) the acceleration will be reduced in all gears but the (theoretical) top speed will be higher (in all gears). (That's an other question the the pulling power will be decreased by the longer FDR therefore (probably) the real top speed in 5th gear will be lower). At a given speed (for example 60 mph), the rpm will be lower in all gears (compared to a shorter final drive ratio).

A shorter final drive ratio has an opponent effect.

If you use a longer 5th gear it'll have same effect as above but only in 5th gear.

I hope you don't think I want to reason or something

im such a numpty !!!

its dawned on me today what the JB3-S-24 actually is

its a refurb of either an 091 or 053 box, it isnt a JB3-024 as i first thought, and both of those boxes are used on valvers so ive nothing to worry about !

lol

Oh well, prompted a bit of useful discussion! :D