Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Anyone Ever Relocated??

Has anyone just upped sticks, left mates and family behind in search of a new start? I've been unemployed for quite some time now, have applied for about 50 jobs in the past 2 months but dont seem to even get a response, i want to do something revolving around cars, mechanics, tuning, tyre fitting it doesnt bother me as long as its something i enjoy doing, its got to the stage now where it's getting me down, I cant afford to keep going without a job, the hybrid might have to go soon, id rather move away to find work than sell it.. Maybe im not trying hard enough?!? i just dont want to do work which i hate, i want a career where i can further myself and prove to myself that theres more to life..

Any Ideas??

Dave

I moved from North Wales to Chester.

Hardly a cross country move but seeing as the travel time is over an hour and not really comuttable backward and forward I would say the principle is the same.

The difficult thing for me is having no mates which you have grown up with and its hard finding people you really gell with and have common interests.

I suppose as I'm married, well engaged when we moved I didnt make as big an effort to find new friends as one might but, thats for me the most difficult thing.

However, I think maybe moving without having a job in place is a big risk. What would you do rent a place before finding a job? **** that. Do you live in a seasonal town or something? Maybe it might be best just to take any job in a supermarket to start earning some cash again.

Ive done the supermarket thing for three years, its an option but thing is at the moment there is no available jobs, As they only employ at seasonal times, theres also just been a university built in the area and my towns population in the last 5 years has probably doubled with numbers rising daily, Which makes it even harder to find work. Tbh i want a career and if the opportunity arose id go to a specific area for the right career, i want to move away someday anyhow, as many friends i have there is also people i do not get on with, just the idea of a fresh start with an option to choose who knows me is whats most appealing i think, kinda had a bad school life and without bringing up memories, theres faces around id rather forget.. I think anything over an hour away from where i live now would be nice, with no more than say 250 miles away so i could return to see friends and family.

Dave

Sometimes you've got to take risks to maike gains. Maybe try temping. I've gotten a couple of permanent jobs with companies that I started temping for in the past. What's the furthest distant job you've applied for? Nothing wrong with commuting until you can afford to move.

And don't think about "friends" Your real friends will keep in touchno matter how far you move. Sod the rest, They're not real friends.

Dude I've been trying to get ANY job thats not a nightshift for 6 months now with no response.

I think its rude and very unfair that you take the time to write to these people and they don't even respond out of courtisy.

I'm not in a position to move elsewhere so I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place it seems.

I've tried the supermarkets and none have vacancies.

I know its depressing but I still think out luck will change soon - one of my mates 12 weeks ago lost his mum, fell apart, hated his job - with a lot of help and a pay drop he's now doing a lot better in a job he loves - I doubt he thought he'd be feeling so much better 12 weeks ago.

Chin up!

Ive had one positive response, had one interview and i could tell during the interview, my age (23) then was her issue as i was going to be delivering batteries around the area, even though i have done similar i could tell she had an issue about my age... :( even went as far as telling me "yeah your our perfect candidate, will be in touch" ive had one letter acknowledging me for writing to them, and some of the other company's really make me ask myself why do i bother writing to them!?!? havent really applied for many jobs far away, just temping ones that are a Fair few miles away,

Could possibly go and work on oil rigs, i know theres vacancy's for that!!

Dave

Forum User

Re: Anyone Ever Relocated??

I sympathise with your situation m8 but maybe change your priorities?

Sounds to me as if you're getting short of cash and the things influencing your decisions is whether you can keep your car and whether you're going to enjoy your work.

If the car needs to go it needs to go - the money from that could save you serious upheval by having to relocate. Also the longer you're out of work the harder it'll get...most employers will question the gap so even if you have to get the worst job in the world it'll work out better in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by number1
    Could possibly go and work on oil rigs, i know theres vacancy's for that!!

Dave
    If you could actually do that, I suggest you do.

I know someone who worked on oil rigs and he earned a hefty salary tbh.

Forum User
    Yeah good money for a good reason, its wseriously hard graft and dangerous too

Yeah as lunner said!! id rather set my car on fire and watch it burn than sell it lol, its getting somewhat to how i want it, ive put too much time into it just to sell it because im hard up, something will turn up, ive been looking in papers and on website's today and theres just sod all around, anything i phone up for is filled or i havent got the paperwork even though i could probably run rings around the nvq college boys in the workshop, im not just sticking to mechanics either, id like a driving job or anything that gets me out an about with a bit of variety each day

Dave