Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Running rich

Forum User

Running rich

Is there any way i can adjust the mixture without a programable ECU? Mines running really rich at the minute. Can this do any damage other than too my wallet?

Also which ECU is the best and how much am i looking at? I've heard of a SMT6 before, are these good?

Thanks
    Mark

Banned
    SMT6 has problems associated with it. I dont beleive you can change the rev limit for example, hence why Martin had to go to Nick for a rev limit change.

best ecu would be a fully mappable one such as omex but that would leave you a bill of about £900 fully mapped

Forum User
    luckilly i have a 1.8 ECU which will redline around 7.2K and the smt will do the rest

Banned
    Nick Hill is the man to see about electronics.

If its running very rich, there could be a problem with the lambda sensor. Get this checked first as a rich mixture can damage your cat if your still running one.

Out of curiosity, how do you know its running rich? Have you had it on a gas analyser or has your mpg just gone downhill?

Forum User
    i'll try ringing round the weekend and see what GDI and nick hill can offer. Is nick hill the same as hill power?

No i'm not running and cat and i thought about the lamba, just didn't know how to check it. I never expected it to be running 100% right as the engine is newly built with cams etc. I think its running rich as you can really smell it. Sound strange i know.

What alternatives are there to fully mapable ECUs. I'm looking to spend about £400. Do i need to save more or are there things out there for that sort of money?

Thanks for the help
    Mark

Yes Nick Hill is Hillpower.

Lambda would be the first point of call as that is what it does, it tells the ECU to adjust fueling depending on the mixture it detects.

Mat.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by case
    i'll try ringing round the weekend and see what GDI and nick hill can offer. Is nick hill the same as hill power?

No i'm not running and cat and i thought about the lamba, just didn't know how to check it. I never expected it to be running 100% right as the engine is newly built with cams etc. I think its running rich as you can really smell it. Sound strange i know.

What alternatives are there to fully mapable ECUs. I'm looking to spend about £400. Do i need to save more or are there things out there for that sort of money?

Thanks for the help
    Mark

Wouldnt even put GDI in the same bracket as Nick Hill to be honest. On the electronics side of things you wont find better, anywhere, than Nick.

The job he did rebuilding my engine was very very professional, and the best thing is, it hasnt broken yet. If you have a Mark 1 Clio and dont go to Nick, your either mighty brave or mighty stupid.

Forum User
    Where abouts is he based? and is Nick hill the same as Hill power? Cheers.

Mark